According to a warning announcement distributed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), ingestion or inhalation of nitrite “poppers” can have severe consequences, including injury or even death. The medical community has noticed a concerning rise in deaths and hospitalizations associated with the intentional use of these recreational nitrite products, particularly for enhancing sexual experiences.
Often referred to as “poppers,” these products contain chemical substances similar to amyl nitrite, a prescription medication used to alleviate chest pain. It is important to note that poppers have not undergone evaluation by the FDA for their safety. Therefore, they should not be ingested or inhaled under any circumstances.
Poppers are typically sold in small bottles resembling energy shot beverages and are commonly available online, in adult novelty stores, and other retail locations. They are marketed and labeled as various products such as air fresheners, liquid incense, deodorizers, leather cleaners, cosmetics, solvents, and nail polish removers.
Judy McMeekin, Pharm.D., the Associate Commissioner for Regulatory Affairs, emphasizes the critical health risks associated with ingesting or inhaling poppers. She warns that these chemicals can be corrosive, causing damage to the skin and other tissues upon contact. Furthermore, they can lead to breathing difficulties, significant drops in blood pressure, decreased blood oxygen levels, seizures, heart arrhythmia, coma, and even death. It is crucial to refrain from any ingestion or inhalation of poppers.
In addition to the severe health risks, there is an issue with misleading packaging and labeling employed by manufacturers. The packaging of poppers often mimics that of energy shots or drinks, potentially misleading consumers into thinking they are safe for consumption or intended for inhalation. These products are marketed under various names, such as Rush, Super Rush, Jungle Juice, Locker Room, Sub-Zero, and Iron Horse.
It is imperative not to be deceived by the packaging or labeling of these poppers. Regardless of how they are presented, whether online or in novelty stores, they are unapproved products that should never be inhaled or ingested. The recreational use of poppers can result in serious health problems that are not worth the risk to your life.
If you suspect that you are experiencing a severe side effect that poses an immediate danger to your health, it is crucial to call 911 or visit your local emergency room for immediate medical attention. Additionally, if you wish to report a complaint or an adverse event such as illness or injury related to popper usage, you have several options available:
- Call an FDA Consumer Complaint Coordinator to speak directly with a representative about your concerns.
- Fill out an electronic Voluntary MedWatch form online to report the issue.
- Complete a paper Voluntary MedWatch form and mail it to the FDA.
Filing a Claim for Poppers-related Issues
If you have experienced harm or injury due to the use of poppers, it may be necessary to file a claim to seek compensation for your damages. Filing a claim can help cover medical expenses, loss of income, pain and suffering, and other related costs.
To file a claim, consider the following steps:
- Gather evidence: Collect any documentation related to your use of poppers and the resulting harm. This may include medical records, receipts of purchase, photographs, and witness statements.
- Consult legal advice: Contact a personal injury attorney who specializes in product liability or toxic substance cases. They can provide guidance on the legal process and help you understand your rights and options.
- Establish liability: Your attorney will work to determine who may be held responsible for your injuries. This could include manufacturers, distributors, retailers, or other parties involved in the production and sale of the poppers.
- Document damages: Keep detailed records of all expenses related to your injuries, such as medical bills, rehabilitation costs, therapy expenses, and any other financial losses incurred as a result.
- Initiate the claim: Your attorney will help prepare and file the necessary legal documents to initiate the claim. They will communicate with the responsible parties, negotiate on your behalf, and represent your interests throughout the legal process.
- Seek compensation: Your attorney will work to secure a fair settlement or, if necessary, pursue a lawsuit on your behalf. They will aim to obtain compensation for your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and any other applicable losses.
It is important to note that filing a claim for poppers-related issues can be a complex and challenging process. Working with an experienced attorney will greatly increase your chances of a successful outcome. They will guide you through the legal proceedings, handle the necessary paperwork, and advocate for your rights, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Were you or a loved one harmed by a contaminated eye product? Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation