A burn hazard has prompted the recall of 456,000 waffle makers, with dozens of reported injuries associated with the product. PowerXL Stuffed Wafflizer waffle makers are the subject of the recall. A photo of the waffle makers can be seen in the image credit provided by the CPSC.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced the recall of 456,000 PowerXL Stuffed Wafflizer waffle makers on May 18, 2023, following 44 incident reports, including 34 burn injuries, with three cases requiring medical attention.
According to the CPSC, “Hot pieces of the waffle or stuffing can be expelled from the waffle maker during use or upon opening the product, posing a burn risk to consumers.”
These waffle makers were sold at various retailers nationwide, including Walmart, Kohls, Big Lots, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Best Buy, The Home Depot, Target, Sam’s Club, and other home goods stores. They were also available for purchase online at QVC.com, walmart.com, kohls.com, and other websites. The sales period occurred from July 2021 to October 2022, and the price range was between $30 and $60.
The recall encompasses PowerXL Model ESWM02 (5-inch) and Model ESWM03 (7-inch) Stuffed Wafflizer waffle makers. The waffle makers were available in 11 different colors: black, white, red, cinnamon, gray, lavender, lemon, ocean, slate, seafoam, and sage. The PowerXL logo can be found on the top of the waffle maker. The model numbers and date codes are printed on a tag attached to the power cord, and all date codes are included in the recall.
Consumers are advised to immediately stop using the recalled waffle makers and contact Empower Brands. Empower Brands will provide a free latch adaptor part and written instructions to complete the repair. They can be reached toll-free at 866-276-0063 from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Eastern time, Monday through Friday. Additionally, contact can be made via online at prodprotect.com/recall/wafflizer or powerxlproducts.com. For more information, visit the “Safety Recalls” section located at the top of the page on powerxlproducts.com.
Filing a Claim for Financial Compensation
If you have suffered a severe burn injury due to the recalled PowerXL Stuffed Wafflizer, you may have grounds to file a product liability lawsuit. While I can provide some general information, it’s important to consult with a personal injury attorney who specializes in product liability cases for advice tailored to your specific situation. Here are some steps to consider:
- Consult with our attorneys: Seek the guidance of our personal injury attorneys, who have experience with product liability cases. We can evaluate the details of your case, determine if you have a viable claim, and guide you through the legal process.
- Gather evidence: Collect any evidence related to the incident and your injuries. This may include photographs of your burns, medical records, and bills, witness statements, and any documentation or receipts related to the purchase of the product.
- Determine product defect: Your attorney will help determine the type of product defect that caused your injuries. This could include a design defect (inherent flaw in the product’s design), a manufacturing defect (a mistake made during production), or a failure to warn (insufficient or inadequate warnings about potential risks).
- Identify liable parties: Identify all potentially liable parties involved in the manufacturing, distribution, and sale of the defective product. This could include the manufacturer, distributor, retailer, or even specific component manufacturers.
- Establish negligence or strict liability: Depending on the jurisdiction and the legal basis for your claim, your attorney will help establish negligence or strict liability. Negligence requires proving that the responsible party failed to meet the required duty of care, while strict liability may hold the manufacturer liable for injuries caused by a defective product regardless of negligence.
- Assess damages: Work with your attorney to assess the damages you have suffered as a result of the burn injury. This may include medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress. Properly documenting your damages is crucial for building a strong case.
- Negotiation or lawsuit: Your attorney will guide you through the negotiation process with the responsible parties and their insurance companies to seek a fair settlement. If a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached, they will help you file a lawsuit and represent your interests in court.
Remember, the specific legal requirements and procedures for filing a product liability lawsuit can vary depending on your jurisdiction. It’s crucial to speak with one of our experienced attorney as soon as possible. During your free consultation, we can provide you with guidance based on the laws applicable in your case.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
Be sure to get the legal help you need for your product injury case. Contact Parker Waichman, LLP today by calling their toll-free number 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529). Their experienced product liability attorneys are standing by to provide a free case evaluation and help you take the first steps toward obtaining the justice and compensation you deserve.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation