BALDWIN COUNTY, Ala. — A surveillance camera set up in a child’s bedroom called a “nanny cam” captured a frightening and shocking event: a dresser falling on top of a three-year-old child. The toddler, according to an article appearing on WKRG.com, explained that a person caring for the three-year-old had placed the child in bed for a nap. Ten minutes later, the dresser came crashing down on top of the young child. The video showed that the young girl pulled every drawer out and used the open drawers as a ladder to get to the top. The dresser fell over on her. Fortunately, the child was uninjured. Sadly, a child is killed by toppling furniture once every two weeks approximately in the U.S. Also, 20,000 children sustain injuries from falling appliances each year nationwide.
The parents of the child watched the video in horror, shock, and disbelief. The immediately understood that they needed to do something to prevent this problem from ever happening again. The parents hired a handyman and purchased a steel anchoring cable. The handyman anchored the child’s furniture to the wall. The furniture is now completely stable and cannot be tipped over. The steel cables also keep the drawers shut so that the baby cannot pull them out and climb to the top.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, or CPSC, said that the parents did the right thing. The cables that the parents bought are available for purchase at any hardware store and are reasonably easy to install. The CPSC says that items like toys that children would want to reach should not be kept on top of furniture that is prone to toppling. The parents who watched their child nearly get crushed or severely hurt know that they were lucky. They suggested that all parents with young children anchor all of their furniture.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Was your child harmed by a dangerous dresser?Click To Get A Free Case Review