Toy Magnets Recalled After a Sharp Rise in Emergency Room Visits
An online news story posted on nbcdfw.com states that the number of magnet ingestions increased by over 530% between 2017 and 2020. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has once again announced a recall of small toy magnets and urges parents to remove these magnets from their homes due to a growing number of kids swallowing them and requiring emergency medical treatment.
One four-year-old child swallowed two magnetic balls, and the family waited for 24-hours to see if the small magnet balls would pass. When the magnet balls did not pass, their family’s pediatrician transferred the small child to the emergency room. The emergency room doctors saw the magnet balls on the child’s X-ray, but the x-rays didn’t tell the doctors exactly where the balls were located within the child’s body. Next, the doctor ordered a colonoscopy, but the colonoscopy didn’t help the doctors find the magnet balls.
Finally, a laparoscopic search of the child’s intestine showed the small magnets were in his appendix, and doctors performed surgery to remove the two magnet balls.
The treating physician, Dr. David Troendle, stated that he is beginning to seeing more and more of these cases where small children, and even teenagers, have swallowed magnets. Dr. Troendle stated that he sees about one to two cases a month. According to the doctor, these are very dangerous because they are about ten times more powerful than conventional magnets, and they are very tiny. Dr. Troendle says the magnets are only an eighth of an inch in diameter but can hold over 1,000 times their weight.
The magnets were recalled back in 2014, following the hospitalization of hundreds of children who were injured by the toy magnets and games made with rare earth elements. The CPSC then recalled the magnets from the market. A few years later, the number of magnet ingestions dropped by about 80%. However, in 2016, a court reversed the previous court’s decision to ban the magnet ball toys and allowed the magnet ball toys back on the market.
The American Association of Poison Control Centers reported that the number of magnet ingestions piked by over 530% between 2017 and 2020.
A few months ago, a Florida boy was hospitalized after he swallowed16 magnetic balls. Last year, a toddler from South Bend swallowed 19 magnets. In 2020, a boy from New Jersey underwent emergency surgery after it was discovered that he swallowed a set of magnet balls. The boy underwent three surgical procedures.
According to Nancy Cowles from Kids in Danger, most parents are unaware of the danger and see the magnet ball kits as something that looks really fun and cool.
Unfortunately, there are several companies still selling the metals ball play kits online. There are several brands of small toy magnets on the market. The CPSC is requiring all manufactures to market these toys to children 14 years or older. The CPSC is urging parents to throw the toys away immediately if they have small children in their homes.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Were you or a loved one harmed by a dangerous product? Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by harmful products. For your free consultation, contact our law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation