Urgent CPSC Alert: Immediate Discontinuation of Vera Natura Bicycle Helmets Advised Due to Safety Risks
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued an urgent warning on September 7, 2023, advising consumers to stop using Vera Natura adult bicycle helmets immediately. These helmets, sold exclusively on Walmart.com, have been found to fail federal safety standards, posing a significant risk of head injury. Tengingyue, the China-based seller, has yet to recall these helmets or offer any remedies to consumers.
The Vera Natura adult bicycle helmets have been determined to be non-compliant with mandatory federal safety standards, including those related to positional stability, dynamic strength of the retention system, and labeling and certification. As a result, these helmets could fail to adequately protect riders in case of a crash, heightening the risk of severe head injuries.
The seller, Tengingyue, based in China, has not agreed to initiate a recall or provide any form of remedy to consumers. This has raised further concerns about the safety of these products.
The helmets were sold online at www.walmart.com between August 2022 and February 2023, priced at approximately $11. Designed to fit adults, they are adjustable in size and feature 11 vents for air circulation. The helmets are silver with a black striped pattern and are equipped with black straps and a black buckle.
The CPSC strongly advises consumers to immediately cease using these helmets. In addition, they recommend that the straps be cut and that the helmets be disposed of without delay to prevent further risk.
Consumers who experience any issues with these helmets, or who suffer injuries due to their use, are urged to report the incidents to the CPSC through their official website at www.SaferProducts.gov.
This urgent warning highlights the importance of adhering to federal safety standards for protective gear like bicycle helmets. It also underscores the risks associated with purchasing products from sellers who may not comply with these standards, particularly those based overseas. The lack of a formal recall from Tengingyue raises serious concerns and places the onus on consumers to discontinue usage and dispose of the helmets responsibly.
For additional statements related to this topic or other safety concerns, individuals can visit www.cpsc.gov/commissioners.
The CPSC has tagged this urgent warning under Release Number 23-278.
The CPSC’s warning serves as a vital reminder to consumers to be cautious and well-informed when purchasing safety gear, particularly online, and to stay updated on product recalls and safety alerts to prevent avoidable injuries.
Potential Damages and Legal Remedies Following Vera Natura Helmet Safety Warning
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has issued a stark warning regarding Vera Natura adult bicycle helmets for failing to meet federal safety standards. Given the severity of the risk, which could result in significant head injuries, consumers may be wondering what types of damages and compensation they could pursue if affected.
Types of Damages:
- Actual or Compensatory Damages: These are damages meant to compensate the plaintiff for direct losses. In the context of a faulty helmet, this could mean compensation for medical bills related to a head injury sustained while using the helmet.
- Special or Consequential Damages: These damages refer to compensation for any indirect losses experienced by the consumer. For instance, if the injury resulted in missed work, one might be able to claim for lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: In certain jurisdictions, it may be possible to claim for physical and emotional suffering caused by an injury sustained due to the helmet’s failure.
- Punitive Damages: These damages are intended to punish the seller or manufacturer for extreme negligence or willful misconduct. Given that Tengingyue has not agreed to recall these helmets or offer any remedy, punitive damages might be considered.
- Legal Fees: If the case goes to court and the plaintiff wins, the court might also award legal fees as part of the judgment.
- Product Replacement or Refund: Although not offered by Tengingyue at the moment, a typical avenue for compensation in recall cases is a full refund or a safe replacement product.
Given the complexities involved, anyone affected by this issue should consult with one of our experienced product liability attorneys to explore their specific legal options and to understand their rights and potential avenues for compensation.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products like this defective product. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation