SOUTH CAROLINA- Blog.CVN.com writes that a lawsuit filed against Johnson & Johnson is going to trial in South Carolina this May. The lawsuits claim that J&J’s talc-based products, including their baby powder and Shower to Shower, are responsible for causing mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma is typically associated with asbestos, and deadly cancer led to the largest mass tort litigation the United States has ever seen, with more than 700,000 people suing thousands of companies.
A plaintiff in New Jersey was recently awarded a $117 million in a lawsuit in which he claimed he developed mesothelioma because the talc in J&J’s products contained asbestos. New lawsuits add RiteAid as a defendant along with J&J and Imerys, which is a supplier of talc that sells to J&J.
J&J has faced other lawsuits related to their talc products, including thousands of talc lawsuits that were filed because women claim the talc led to ovarian cancer after they applied it to their genitals.
Talc is a mineral that is present in the ground and must be mined. Asbestos can be deposited in the ground near talc, leading to the talc being contaminated by asbestos. Still, J&J and other defendants have argued that talc itself is not linked to any forms of cancer and that their products do not contain asbestos fibers. The defendants also argue that the miners working to extract talc do not show increased rates of mesothelioma. In past cases, defendants have claimed that the plaintiffs could have been exposedto asbestos in other ways. These arguments will likely be used in future cases as well.
More Talcum powder lawsuit resources:
- Talcum Powder Cancer Lawsuit Lawyers
- Is baby powder (talcum powder) safe to use?
- Does talcum powder cause mesothelioma?
- How does talc cause cancer?
- Can baby powder cause cancer?
- What is the talcum powder lawsuit statute of limitations?
- Does Johnson & Johnson baby powder contain asbestos?
- Talcum Powder Health Risks in Women: Dangers of Talc in Baby Powder
- What could a talcum powder lawsuit settlement amount be?
- What are talcum powder lawsuit criteria?
- How to file Johnson & Johnson baby powder lawsuit in 2020?
- Talcum Powder and Uterine Cancer Linked in JJ Lawsuit
- New Jersey Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer MDL Continues to Grow