J&J has been ordered to pay $55 million to a plaintiff in a trial in Missouri.
J&J Pay To A Plaintiff In A Talcum Powder Trial. Johnson & Johnson (J&J) has been ordered to pay $55 million to a plaintiff in a trial in Missouri. The plaintiff contracted ovarian cancer allegedly as a result of using J&J talcum Baby Powder and Shower to Shower Powder for decades as part of her feminine hygiene regimen. She was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 57 in 2011, Law360 reports.
After a three-week trial, the jury deliberated for approximately one day and awarded the plaintiff $5 million in compensatory damages and $50 million in punitive damages. In this recent trial, the jury was shown a 1986 internal J&J document stating “retrospective studies have implicated talc use in the vaginal area with the incidence of ovarian cancer,” according to Reuters. “This is what they said behind closed doors, when they’re in the house and they don’t think anybody’s listening.”
Lawsuits Linked Ovarian Cancer To Talc
In February 2016, a family, on behalf of a plaintiff who passed away, was awarded $72 million in a suit alleging that the deceased had developed ovarian cancer as a result of daily use of J&J talc products. This is the second major defeat for J&J in lawsuits that linked ovarian cancer to the J&J talcum powder products, Law360 reports.
J&J is currently facing about 1,200 lawsuits involving ovarian cancer and talcum powder products. The company has publicly denied any connection of cancer with talcum powder, therefore, neglecting to warn consumers of potential cancer risks. With increasing scrutiny of the alleged ties of the J&J products and liability, Law360 expresses hope that the company will change its policies to better protect consumer’s health safety.
Need Legal Help Regarding Talcum Powder Trial?
More Talcum powder lawsuit resources:
- Is baby powder (talcum powder) safe to use?
- Does talcum powder cause mesothelioma?
- How does talc cause cancer?
- Can baby powder cause cancer?
- What is the talcum powder lawsuit statute of limitations?
- Does Johnson & Johnson baby powder contain asbestos?
- Talcum Powder Health Risks in Women: Dangers of Talc in Baby Powder
- What could a talcum powder lawsuit settlement amount be?
- What are talcum powder lawsuit criteria?
- How to file Johnson & Johnson baby powder lawsuit in 2020?
- Talcum Powder and Uterine Cancer Linked in JJ Lawsuit
- New Jersey Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer MDL Continues to Grow