Varubi Linked to Anaphylaxis, Anaphylactic Shock
A drug that cancer patients have relied on to deal with some of the difficult side effects of their treatment regimens has now been linked to anaphylaxis and anaphylactic shock. Patients receiving the injectable form of the drug Varubi can experience severe reactions to the drug that can potentially result in death.
Parker Waichman LLP is investigating cases involving injectable Varubi and subsequent allergic or hypersensitivity reactions. Our attorneys believe such serious risks are unacceptable for patients who are already fighting cancer, and we are working to achieve justice for patients and families affected by this dangerous drug. Allow our nationally recognized product liability attorneys to investigate your potential claims and pursue the compensation you deserve.
If you or a loved one received Varubi while undergoing chemotherapy treatments and suffered an allergic or hypersensitivity reaction, contact our offices today. You can quickly schedule a consultation with one of our experienced attorneys at no cost to you. You might have limited time to file your claims in court, so do not delay in hiring one of our dedicated lawyers to help you protect your legal rights.
Varubi Indications and Use
Also known by the generic name rolapitant, Varubi is a drug designed to address delayed nausea and vomiting in patients who are undergoing chemotherapy treatments for cancer. Nausea and vomiting are common side effects of chemotherapy, and numerous drug makers have turned out medications throughout the years intended to help patients cope with these side effects.
Varubi is manufactured by Tesaro Inc. and was previously available only in tablet form. In 2017, the manufacturer gained approval to distribute the drug in an injectable form. The injectable emulsion is a P/neurokinin (NK-1) receptor antagonist that is supposed to prevent nausea and vomiting by binding to the NK-1 receptor. In binding to the NK-1 receptor, the drug purportedly prevents receptor activation that is thought to largely contribute to the development of nausea and vomiting.
Though Tesaro markets Varubi injections as a safe and effective option for addressing complications of chemotherapy, the drug has now been linked to dangerous side effects that can be life-threatening.
Injectable Varubi Can Cause Serious Injuries
In its injectable form, Varubi has been known to cause anaphylaxis, anaphylactic shock, and other severe hypersensitivity reactions in patients. Patients can experience these conditions immediately after receiving the injection. Most reported incidences of anaphylaxis or other reaction occurred within minutes of receiving the drug.
Anaphylaxis, anaphylactic shock, and hypersensitivity are severe allergic reactions prompted by exposure to certain antigens. The most common symptoms of severe allergic reactions include:
- Swelling of the face
- Swelling of the throat
- Difficulty breathing
- Difficulty swallowing or a lump in the throat
- Hives or flushing of the skin
- Tingling or numbness
- Back pain
- Chest pain
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal cramping
- Rapid heartbeat
- Loss of consciousness
If not timely and appropriately treated (such as with epinephrine and antihistamines), anaphylaxis and anaphylactic shock can lead to significant injuries, even death.
In January 2018, Tesaro released communication to the medical community in the form of a “Dear Healthcare Provider” or “Dear Doctor” letter. In this letter, Tesaro informed doctors of the potential for anaphylaxis, anaphylactic shock, and other hypersensitivity reactions and advised doctors to be “vigilant for signs of hypersensitivity or anaphylaxis in all patients receiving Varubi injectable emulsion.” Tesaro also recommended that physicians consult their patients to determine whether they are allergic to any component of the product, including soybeans, legumes, or other related allergens.
Varubi Lawsuits: Why Hire a Product Liability Lawyer?
If you have sustained injuries from the drug Varubi, you need a product liability attorney to represent you and fight for your legal rights. By filing a lawsuit in court, you will be able to pursue compensation from the manufacturer to cover your medical costs, lost income, pain and suffering, and more.
Recent studies show that claimants who hire attorneys to litigate their legal claims typically recover 3.5 times more money through settlements or verdicts than claimants who try to handle their own claims. Some of the most significant advantages of hiring a product lawyer for your Varubi claims include:
- Advancing costs of litigation – All types of civil lawsuits cost money, but cases against a large pharmaceutical manufacturer like Tesaro will undoubtedly require significant expenses for depositions, records order, and trial preparation. If you try to litigate your own case, you will have to come up with this money on your own. When you hire a lawyer, however, your lawyer will advance the costs of litigating your case. You will have a stronger case without breaking your own bank.
- Case investigation – Your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation of your Varubi case, which will include ordering medical records and pharmacy records to make sure the drug you received was actually brand-name Varubi. You can only sue Tesaro if you received a Tesaro product, so this investigation is a vital step in your case process.
- Access to experts – By hiring skilled counsel, you will have access to reputable experts who will provide favorable opinions in your case. Most drug product cases will require expert testimony to establish all the elements of proof, and your attorney will be able to find and hire the best experts for your claims.
- Knowledge of law and procedure – On a fundamental level, your attorney brings a vast knowledge of the law and civil procedure, as well as court rules, to the table. It would take a great deal of time and energy for you to try to perform all the research you would need to handle your own case.
- Negotiating power – A tremendous advantage to hiring an attorney is negotiating power. As your advocate, your attorney will fiercely pursue the highest amount of compensation possible, using his or her established training and skills during the negotiation process. Your lawyer will not allow the defendant to take advantage of you.
You are far more likely to achieve a successful result with an attorney on your side. Knowing that you still need to be selective about the attorney you hire. You must make sure you work with a firm experienced in drug product litigation that has demonstrable results. The process of vetting attorneys for your claim can take time, so do not delay in reaching out to firms. Statutes of limitations apply to all cases, and the deadline to file your claim could be approaching.
Contact Parker Waichman LLP Today – Free Case Consultations
Parker Waichman LLP has decades of experience litigating drug product cases, and we are already helping victims of Varubi injuries. Our award-winning firm approaches cases with compassion and dedication, fighting for the compensation families desperately need. When you work with a Parker Waichman LLP attorney, you can feel confident your case is being managed by a skilled litigator who cares about the outcome of your claims.
Our firm is offering free case consultations for potential Varubi clients, and you can take advantage of this offer by contacting our firm today. You can schedule your free attorney consultation by calling 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529) or by filling out the Contact form on our website.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Did you take Varubi and suffer Anaphylaxis or Anaphylactic shock?Click To Get A Free Case Review