If you have been involved in a motor vehicle accident in Bronx County, New York, you might be feeling overwhelmed and confused about how to proceed, especially if you have sustained serious injuries. Therefore, you should seriously consider contacting an experienced Bronx County Car Accident Attorney at Parker Waichman LLP to discuss your options for obtaining the compensation you need and deserve. Call us today at 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529) to schedule your free consultation.
Causes of Car Accidents in Bronx County, New York
Car accidents happen for a variety of reasons, but most often they occur as a result of a driver’s negligent or reckless actions, such as failing to pay attention to road hazards or failing to obey traffic signals. At Parker Waichman LLP, our knowledgeable Bronx County Car Accident Lawyers have many years of experience assisting victims who have been injured in motor vehicle accidents. Some common causes of these car accidents include:
- Distracted driving, including talking on a cellphone or texting while driving, eating, applying makeup, shaving, taking a photo, sending an email, or browsing the Internet.
- Not checking blind spots properly before passing or changing lanes.
- Speeding or failing to obey traffic signals or other traffic laws.
- Inclement weather and/or driving too fast for conditions.
- Falling asleep behind the wheel or driving while fatigued.
- Improper maintenance of a vehicle.
Operating a motor vehicle is an activity that requires you to pay attention to your surroundings. If you get distracted, even for a split second, the results can be devastating. No matter what was the cause of your vehicle accident, if you have sustained injuries, you should seriously consider consulting with one of our experienced Bronx County Car Accident Attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP right away. Our skilled and dedicated lawyers can help you obtain the results you need so that you can focus on recovering.
Common Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries in Bronx County, New York
Car accidents can have catastrophic results no matter what causes them. Individuals can suffer from serious injuries that can be lasting or life-threatening. In New York, between 2012 and 2014, more than one thousand people were fatally injured, and many more ended up in the hospital due to motor vehicle collisions. Although some car accident injuries are minor, such as a small bump or bruise, other injuries can result in disability, extensive medical treatment, and in the most severe cases, an injury can be fatal.
Some common types of motor vehicle accident injuries that occur in Bronx County, New York include:
- In a car accident, vehicle occupants typically experience whiplash, which is pain that one feels in the head and neck after they have been shaken back and forth in a sudden and strong manner, as is usually the case in a rear-end collision. Whiplash can also lead to lasting side-effects including, limited range of motion, headaches, tingling or numbness in the neck, back, or shoulders, lightheadedness, fatigue, blurred vision, and ringing in the ears.
- Broken Bones. Another common injury that individuals sustain is a fracture or broken bone. These types of injuries generally occur when a vehicle occupant is thrown about the vehicle in a forceful manner, or they are ejected from the car during a collision. Bones that are commonly broken or fractured in a car accident include arms, legs, hands, feet, neck, and
- Neck and Head Injuries. In a car accident, your body can be thrown about the inside of the vehicle and serious injuries to the neck and head can result including concussions and even paralysis.
- Brain Injuries. Any car accident can result in a traumatic brain injury whether it is a severe accident where you are ejected from the vehicle or a somewhat minor accident. Brain injury side-effects can be somewhat minor, but in catastrophic cases, a brain injury can be permanently debilitating or life-threatening.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. People are more prone to spinal cord injuries in accidents that involve a vehicle rollover or a head-on collision. An individual who sustains a spinal cord injury can be permanently or temporarily paralyzed depending on the location of the injury on the spine.
- Dislocated Joints. Car accident victims can also experience dislocated joints. However, with prompt and proper medical treatment, a victim can usually fully recover from a dislocated joint.
- Motor vehicles can sometimes start on fire after being involved in an accident, no matter how serious. Accident victims in these instances can sustain burn injuries that might result in permanent scarring and damage.
- Internal Bleeding or Organ Damage. Individuals can also suffer from internal injuries in car accidents such as internal bleeding or organ damage. If you have been involved in an accident and you suspect that you may have sustained an internal injury, be sure to seek appropriate medical treatment.
- In some instances, a motor vehicle accident can be fatal. At Parker Waichman LLP, our compassionate lawyers have experience working with family members who have lost a loved one in a motor vehicle collision.
The dedicated Bronx County Car Accident Lawyers at Parker Waichman LLP have extensive experience working with clients who have sustained devastating injuries and other damages as a result of a serious car accident. If you have been in an accident in Bronx County, you may be facing mounting medical expenses, and you might be unable to go to work. In this case, those who are responsible for causing the accident should be held accountable. Our Bronx County Car Accident Attorneys have the skills, knowledge, and resources necessary to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Motor Vehicle Accidents in Bronx County, New York
Q: If I’ve been involved in a motor vehicle accident in Bronx County, what steps should I take?
A: If you have been involved in a car accident in Bronx County, try to remain calm and be sure to dial 911 if you or anyone else has been injured in the accident. In addition, you might want to take the following steps:
- If you are able to, move your vehicle to the side of the road and out of traffic.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident.
- Be sure to exchange information with others involved in the accident including their names, phone numbers, insurance information, and license plate numbers.
- Collect information from witnesses to the accident.
- When discussing the accident, do not admit fault.
- If you have the ability to, use a phone or camera to take pictures of the accident scene and of any damages that occurred.
- If you have been injured, it is important that you seek medical treatment right away as even what appears to be a minor injury could actually be serious. There are a number of hospitals and medical clinics located in Bronx County.
- If the accident caused property damage that you believe is worth more than $1,000, you are required to file an accident report with the DMV no more than ten days after the accident. If you do not follow this requirement, the Department of Motor Vehicles may suspend your driving privileges.
Q: How might I pick up a copy of my motor vehicle accident report?
A: If the DMV has filed and processed the accident report, you can review the information on how to gain access to it, or you can call or visit a local Bronx County Police Department. Some of these stations include:
NYPD, 52nd Precinct
3016 Webster Avenue
Bronx Police Department
215 E 161st Street
NYPD 49th Precinct
2121 Eastchester Road
NYPD 44th Precinct
2 E 169th Street
Q: What is the No-Fault Law that is applicable to New York car accidents?
A: If you have been injured in a car accident in Bronx County and you are hoping to obtain compensation for your injuries and other damages, you must first consider New York’s no-fault law. Under the no-fault law, you typically pursue reimbursement for economic damages such as medical expenses or lost wages through your own motor vehicle insurance. Under the law, you can also seek non-economic damages from the negligent or at-fault driver. Non-economic damages include pain and suffering. You might also be able to pursue damages from the at-fault driver if you have sustained severe injuries such as significant bodily disfigurement, broken bones, dismemberment, permanent or substantial disability, and death. If you need help determining whether you meet the serious injury threshold, be sure to consult with an experienced Bronx County Car Accident Attorney at Parker Waichman LLP as soon as possible.
Q: What is the time limit for filing a car accident lawsuit in New York?
A: In New York, the statute of limitations, or the time limit for filing a car accident lawsuit is typically three years from the date of the accident. Because there are certain facts and circumstances that can alter this three-year time limit, it is important that you consult with an experienced Bronx County Car Accident Attorney as soon as possible in order to preserve your right to compensation.
Why Should I Choose Parker Waichman LLP To Take On My Motor Vehicle Accident Case?
At Parker Waichman LLP, our dedicated and knowledgeable lawyers have many years of experience working with motor vehicle accident victims and their families, and we have earned a reputation for obtaining favorable and successful results for our clients. Because of this, our law firm has been received many honors and recognitions throughout the years, including:
- An AV Peer Review Rating as “Preeminent Lawyers” in Martindale-Hubbell
- com’s highest ranking of “5 Dragons”
- 8 out of 10 on AVVO.com
- A Peer Review Listing as “Best Lawyers”
When you decide that Parker Waichman LLP is the right firm to take on your car accident case, you can expect top-notch legal representation by attorneys who are compassionate, dedicated, and truly have an interest in making a difference in the lives of their clients. Our legal team works hard to help accident victims obtain the compensation they need and deserve.
Contact One Of Our Bronx County Car Accident Attorneys Today
At Parker Waichman LLP our lawyers offer free and no-obligation, confidential case evaluations to victims of motor vehicle accidents in Bronx County. A serious car accident can cause devastating injuries, lost work, and lasting pain and suffering. The experienced Bronx County Car Accident Attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP can assist you with navigating the legal process so that you have access to the justice and compensation you deserve. Not only are our initial case consultations free, but we also work on what is known as a contingency fee basis, meaning we don’t get paid unless and until you get paid, so be sure to contact us today by calling 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529) or by filling out our online form.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been harmed in a car accident?Click To Get A Free Case Review