Fatal hit-and-run collisions are tragic events that not only result in the loss of a loved one but also leave families devastated and seeking justice. In the state of New York, the legal system provides recourse for families affected by these accidents through wrongful death lawsuits. This comprehensive article will delve into the issue of fatal hit-and-run collisions, outline the lawsuit process in New York, discuss the statutes of limitations for wrongful death lawsuits, emphasize the importance of an experienced New York wrongful death attorney, and highlight why Parker Waichman LLP is renowned as a top-rated law firm, uniquely qualified to handle these claims.
Fatal Hit-and-Run Collisions Fatal hit-and-run collisions occur when a driver involved in an accident fails to stop, provide aid, or exchange information with the other parties involved. These incidents often leave victims severely injured or result in untimely deaths, leaving families to cope with both emotional and financial burdens.
The Lawsuit Process in New York
- Gathering Evidence: The initial step in a hit-and-run collision lawsuit is to gather evidence, which may include accident reports, witness statements, surveillance footage, and forensic analysis.
- Identifying the Responsible Party: Determining the identity of the driver responsible for the accident is crucial. This can be a challenging task, but experienced attorneys employ various investigative techniques and work closely with law enforcement agencies to identify and locate the responsible party.
- Filing a Lawsuit: Once the responsible party is identified, a wrongful death lawsuit can be filed on behalf of the deceased’s family members. This legal action seeks compensation for damages, including medical expenses, funeral costs, loss of income, and emotional distress.
- Negotiations and Settlement: In many cases, the responsible party’s insurance company may attempt to settle the claim outside of court. An experienced attorney can negotiate on behalf of the family to ensure a fair settlement that adequately compensates for their losses.
- Trial: If a settlement cannot be reached, the case may proceed to trial. During the trial, evidence is presented, witnesses testify, and a jury determines liability and damages.
New York Statutes of Limitations for Wrongful Death Lawsuits In New York
In New York, there is a specific time limit, known as the statute of limitations, within which a wrongful death lawsuit must be filed. Generally, the statute of limitations for wrongful death cases in New York is two years from the date of death. However, exceptions exist, and it is crucial to consult with an attorney promptly to ensure compliance with these time constraints.
The Importance of an Experienced New York Wrongful Death Attorney
Navigating a fatal hit-and-run collision lawsuit requires in-depth legal knowledge and expertise. Hiring an experienced New York wrongful death attorney can provide several key advantages:
- Knowledge of the Legal System: Experienced attorneys understand the complexities of the legal system and can guide families through the entire process.
- Investigation and Evidence Collection: Skillful attorneys have the resources and connections to conduct thorough investigations, gather crucial evidence, and identify liable parties.
- Expert Negotiation: Seasoned attorneys are adept at negotiating with insurance companies to secure maximum compensation for the family’s losses.
- Trial Representation: In the event the case proceeds to trial, a skilled attorney can present a compelling case, advocate for the family’s rights, and strive for a favorable verdict.
Parker Waichman LLP: A Top-Rated Law Firm for Fatal Hit-and-Run Collisions Lawsuits
Parker Waichman LLP is widely recognized as a top-rated law firm, specializing in personal injury cases, including fatal hit-and-run collisions. The firm’s strengths include:
- Proven Track Record: Parker Waichman LLP has a history of successfully handling complex personal injury cases, securing substantial settlements and verdicts for their clients.
- Experience and Expertise: The firm’s attorneys possess extensive experience in wrongful death cases and possess a deep understanding of New York’s legal system.
- Dedicated Client Advocacy: Parker Waichman LLP prides itself on providing personalized attention and support to families, ensuring their rights are protected throughout the legal process.
- Resources and Network: The firm has access to a wide network of expert witnesses, accident reconstruction specialists, and other professionals who can strengthen the case.
- Contingency Fee Basis: Parker Waichman LLP offers its services on a contingency fee basis, meaning clients only pay legal fees if the firm successfully recovers compensation for them.
Fatal hit-and-run collisions in New York are heartbreaking events that necessitate legal action to pursue justice and compensation for the families left behind. Engaging the services of an experienced New York wrongful death attorney, such as those at Parker Waichman LLP, is crucial to navigate the legal complexities and secure the best possible outcome. By providing dedicated advocacy and leveraging their expertise, Parker Waichman LLP has established itself as a top-rated law firm capable of effectively handling these challenging claims.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by a negligent driver. For your free consultation, contact our national PFAS cancer law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation