Urgent Alert: FDA Cautions Against Hazardous Weight Loss Supplements Available at Walmart and Amazon
As summer winds down and many look to autumn as a time to reset their wellness goals, some may consider weight loss supplements as a way to kickstart a healthier lifestyle. However, caution is advised as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has recently flagged specific weight loss items as potentially extremely harmful. Products sold both on Amazon and Walmart are under scrutiny, following alarming discoveries about their composition.
Often described as “weight loss seeds” or “diet seeds,” these products are marketed under various names like “India Nuts for Weight Loss” and “botanical food.” Miami’s OBC Group Corp has taken a voluntary step to recall its Nut Diet Max brand containing Nuez de la India seeds and capsules, as per an FDA notice dated September 6.
While these items are generally distributed by independent vendors, it’s crucial to note that the capsules were found on Walmart’s online platform and the seeds were listed on Amazon. The labels on these products may make them appear benign, but the FDA warns otherwise.
Contrary to what is advertised, the Nut Diet Max items are not derived from Aleurites moluccanus, a tree more commonly known as the candlenut or Indian walnut. Instead, they contain Thevetia peruviana, commonly known as yellow oleander. Originating in Mexico and Central America, yellow oleander is a plant containing cardiac glycosides—substances that are extremely dangerous to both humans and animals. Consumption of this plant could result in severe neurological, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular issues, and may even be fatal.
As of the latest update on September 1, one individual in Maryland was hospitalized after consuming these seeds. This prompted the Maryland Department of Health to initiate product testing. Both the FDA and the Maryland Department of Health concluded that these weight loss supplements are actually yellow oleander, containing cardiac glycosides.
For those who have purchased Nut Diet Max seeds or capsules, the FDA strongly advises against their use. The agency recommends returning the products to the point of purchase for a refund. If you’ve already consumed these supplements, seek medical advice right away, as the symptoms could be severe.
The FDA continues its investigation in partnership with third-party platforms and the Maryland Department of Health. Consumers with questions can reach out to OBC Group Corp using the contact details available in the FDA’s public release.
Before you decide to try a weight loss supplement this fall, make sure to do your due diligence. Your health should never be compromised in the pursuit of quick fixes.
How to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Filing a wrongful death lawsuit is a complex and emotionally taxing process that aims to hold responsible parties accountable for their actions or negligence. Though the legal steps can be intricate, they are vital in obtaining justice for your lost loved one and in securing compensation that can alleviate some of the financial burdens you may face. If you’re considering this path, it’s crucial to take the right steps to ensure you have a strong case.
- Consult Our Experienced Attorneys: The first thing to do is to consult with an attorney who specializes in wrongful death lawsuits. This initial consultation is often free and will help you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your case, what kinds of compensation you might expect, and what the legal process will entail. If your attorney works on a contingency basis, you won’t have to pay legal fees unless you win your case.
- Gather Evidence: After securing legal representation, the next step is to compile all the evidence that will support your case. This can include medical records, police reports, eyewitness accounts, and anything else that might prove negligence or liability on the part of the defendant. Your attorney can guide you on what types of evidence will be most helpful.
- File the Complaint: Once you have sufficient evidence, your attorney will file a formal legal complaint against the defendant. This document outlines the basis of your lawsuit and specifies what compensation you are seeking. After the complaint is filed, the defendant has a specific amount of time, often 30 days, to respond.
- Pre-Trial and Settlement Negotiations: Before going to trial, both parties will have the chance to resolve the case through a settlement. If a settlement is reached, the case ends there. However, if both parties cannot agree, the case will proceed to trial.
- Trial: During the trial, both sides will present their evidence, and witnesses may be called to testify. It will be up to a judge or jury to determine the outcome of the case and whether compensation is owed.
Filing a wrongful death lawsuit is a serious legal undertaking, but it can be a necessary step to achieving justice for your loved one. Throughout this challenging time, it’s essential to have a dedicated legal team at your side to navigate the complexities of the law and to advocate passionately on your behalf.
Have You Lost a Loved One Due to a Defective Product?
Losing a loved one is an unbearable tragedy, and when it happens because of a deadly product, the pain is compounded by a sense of injustice and betrayal. If you believe that this hazardous product is responsible for your loved one’s wrongful death, you have the right to seek justice. Call our national product liability law firm to receive your free case analysis.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation