Storefront Pedestrian Accidents Are On The Rise
According to an accident article published on amityins.com, motor vehicles crash into or through storefronts 60 times each day on average throughout the United States. The Storefront Safety Council states that storefront pedestrian accidents cause about 4,000 severe injuries and 500 fatalities each year.
Statistics collected by the Storefront Safety Council shows the complete picture of these types of accidents. No state or federal government agencies collect statistical data from storefront pedestrian accidents. However, the Storefront Safety Council collects data on accidents that happen on properties, including roadside stores, strip malls, shopping centers, and outdoor restaurants. The data is useful to keep help keep pedestrians safe and to design safer storefronts.
According to the Storefront Safety Council’s research, storefront accidents are usually caused by drowsy drivers, intoxicated drivers, reckless driving, criminal assaults, speeding, and mechanical failures. However, the number one reason why storefront accident happens is “pedal mistakes caused by drivers.” In other words, the driver accidentally steps on the accelerator pedal instead of the motor vehicle’s brake pedal. The second and third most common reasons why storefront accidents happen are operator errors and driving while intoxicated. The least common causes of storefront accidents are traffic accidents, intentional assaults, and medical emergencies.
The Storefront Safety Council’s analysis also discovered that the pedestrians who are typically injured in this type of collision are between 20 and 29. The data also found that 55 percent of all storefront accidents are caused by drivers who were 50 years old or older. According to the Storefront Safety Council’s research, drivers under the age of 50 caused the remaining 45 percent of storefront accidents.
The data also discovered that retail stores are the most common place where these accidents happen. The other common places these accidents occur at restaurants, convenience stores, and other types of front-parking establishments. The least common location where storefront accidents occur are office buildings.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Were you or a loved one injured in a storefront pedestrian accident?
Parker Waichman LLP helps their clients recover full monetary compensation from those responsible for causing their injuries. Trust your loved one’s case with our pedestrian accident lawyers. For a free consultation, contact our law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Local pedestrian accident claims:
- New York City Pedestrian Accident Attorney
- Long Island Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
- New Jersey Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
- Car Accident Attorney in Florida