Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro Gastroparesis (Stomach Paralysis) Lawsuit Lawyers
Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro have been linked to stomach paralysis.
According to Healthline.com, injectable medications Ozempic and Wegovy (active ingredient semaglutide) and Mounjaro (active ingredient tirzepatide), work by slowing down digestion in the stomach. In some instances, this delay in stomach emptying, known as gastroparesis (or “stomach paralysis”) , can occur.
The United States Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has been receiving reports of gastroparesis with semaglutide and liraglutide, with some documenting that the adverse event was unresolved even after the product was discontinued at the time of reporting.
Physicians who specialize in gastroparesis treatment say they are also hearing more reports of gastroparesis as an increasing number of people use these medications.
What Victims Should Know
- FDA Approval: Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro received FDA approval, but the drug makers failed to adequately disclose the risks of severe gastrointestinal events, such as stomach paralysis, associated with these products.
- Extensive Advertising: The drug makers spent millions on advertising, promoting the safety and efficacy of these drugs. The truth about the risks may have been hidden from the public, however.
- Your Rights: If you or someone you love has suffered from adverse effects after taking these drugs, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, and suffering.
On March 28, 2022, Novo Nordisk announced the FDA’s approval of a higher (2 mg) dose of the Ozempic (semaglutide) injection. In the press release, the drug maker represented Ozempic as having “proven safety and efficacy” and further advertised that ” it can help many patients lose some weight.” However, severe gastrointestinal events, such as gastroparesis and gastroenteritis, were not identified as risks.
Similarly, on May 13, 2022, Eli Lilly announced FDA approval of Mounjaro (tirzepatide), pitched by the drug maker as an adjunct to diet and exercise for improving glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes. In the announcement, Eli Lilly disclosed a safety summary, but severe gastrointestinal events were not identified as risks.
Free Consultation for Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro Gastroparesis
The national law firm of Parker Waichman LLP is stepping forward to assist individuals who have suffered harm as a result of using Ozempic, Mounjaro, or Wegovy. Parker Waichman LLP is currently offering a free case review for potential product injury lawsuits related to these medications.
Individuals who believe they have been adversely affected by Ozempic, Mounjaro, or Wegovy can consult with the firm’s experienced attorneys without any financial obligation. The goal of these potential legal actions would be to seek compensation for injuries, thereby providing victims with a means to address the financial and emotional burdens that these products may have inflicted. Parker Waichman LLP’s initiative emphasizes its commitment to consumer protection and legal advocacy.
For your free consultation, contact Parker Waichman LLP today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
Study Finds Link Between GLP-1 Agonists and Gastroparesis
Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro are GLP-1 agonists. Dr. Michael Camilleri, a gastroenterologist at the Mayo Clinic, was awarded a research grant from the National Institutes of Health to explore the effects of one of the earliest GLP-1 agonists (liraglutide) on stomach activity.
Dr. Camilleri found that individuals taking liraglutide experienced a considerable reduction in digestion speed compared to the placebo group; approximately seventy (70) minutes was required for half of the consumed food to exit their stomachs, in contrast to a mere four (4) minutes for the placebo group.
Under normal circumstances, less than 10% of a meal remains in the stomach four (4) hours after consumption. If this figure rises to between 10- 15%, it is classified as mild gastroparesis; if it rises to between15-35% it is classified as moderate gastroparesis; and if it rises over 35%, it is classified as severe gastroparesis.
In trials, 44% of Wegovy users reported nausea, and nearly 1 in 4 experienced vomiting, both common symptoms of gastroparesis. Similarly, in Ozempic’s trials – the same medication as Wegovy but at a lower dose – 20% reported nausea, and 10% reported vomiting.
The Drug Makers’ Marketing and Promotion of Ozempic and Mounjaro
The Role of the Drug Makers
Despite the significant risks, drug makers Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly have been proactive in promoting these drugs, including full-scale campaigns, TV spots, and digital marketing.
Over five years, Novo Nordisk spent a staggering $884,000,000 on television ads in the United States, mainly for Ozempic. On July 6, 2023, it was reported that they had also spent $11,000,000 on food and travel for doctors to promote the drug.
The results of these efforts were significant. Ozempic has been widely used throughout the United States, with the number of prescriptions filled reaching an all-time high of 373,000 in one week in February 2023. New prescriptions had surged by 140% from the prior year as of June 2023.
Social media also played a role in this surge. On TikTok, the hashtag #Ozempic amassed over 1.2 billion views. Furthermore, a news report on June 15, 2023, highlighted “thousands of weight-loss ads on social media for the drugs Ozempic and Wegovy.” Despite a reported shortage of the drug, Novo Nordisk continued to run online social-media ads for its semaglutide products.
On July 10, 2023, Ozempic was declared as “2023’s buzziest drug” and one of the “Hottest Brands, disrupting U.S. culture and industry.” Meanwhile, Mounjaro also garnered attention, especially after receiving Fast Track designation from the FDA for treating obesity. The media, including social media platforms like TikTok, have been filled with rave reviews of these drugs for off-label weight loss effects.
The extensive marketing and promotion of Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro by Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly showcase the influence and reach of pharmaceutical companies in the United States. While they have championed these products as revolutionary treatments for type 2 diabetes, the omission of information regarding severe gastrointestinal risks raises serious concerns for patients, who trust in the safety and efficacy claims of the drug makers.
The Drug Makers Failed to Warn of the Risk of Severe Gastrointestinal Events from Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro
From the date of FDA approval to the present, Novo Nordisk marketed and sold Ozempic and Wegovy without adequately warning victims that it might cause severe gastrointestinal issues, including gastroparesis and gastroenteritis. Similarly, Eli Lilly has sold Mounjaro without adequately warning victims that it could cause serious gastrointestinal issues.
The drug makers knew, or should have known, however, that Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro were dangerous due to insufficient warnings of severe gastrointestinal events. Despite knowing these dangers, the drug makers continued to market, distribute, and sell Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro to prescribing physicians and consumers without adequate warnings.
Allegations Against the Drug Makers
- Failure to Warn: Both Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly have been accused of selling Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro without adequate warning to the victims or prescribing physicians that these drugs could cause severe gastrointestinal issues.
- Ignoring Evidence: The victims allege that the drug makers ignored the evidence of the association between the use of these drugs and the risk of developing severe gastrointestinal issues.
- Lack of Efficacy and Increased Safety Risks: Questions have been raised regarding the fitness of these drugs for their intended purpose, given their alleged lack of efficacy and increased safety risks.
The victims who have suffered from severe gastrointestinal issues due to these drugs claim that their injuries are permanent and lasting in nature, leading to physical pain, mental anguish, diminished enjoyment of life, and the need for lifelong medical treatment.
Why File an Ozempic, Mounjaro, or Wegovy Gastroparesis (Stomach Paralysis) Lawsuit?
Filing an Ozempic, Mounjaro, or Wegovy Gastroparesis (Stomach Paralysis) lawsuit may be a vital step for individuals who have suffered from specific medical conditions after taking these medications. Here are several reasons why pursuing legal action should be considered:
- Accountability and Awareness: By filing a lawsuit, victims can hold the pharmaceutical companies responsible for potential negligence or failure to provide adequate warnings about the risks. It can also raise awareness about the potential side effects, encouraging better practices and more comprehensive information from the companies involved.
- Compensation for Medical Expenses: Treatment for gastroparesis can be costly, involving various medical interventions and possibly even surgery. A successful lawsuit can provide financial relief to cover these costs.
- Recovery for Lost Wages: Individuals suffering from gastroparesis might be unable to work or may lose income due to ongoing medical treatments. A lawsuit can seek compensation for lost wages and potential future earnings.
- Pain and Suffering: The physical discomfort and emotional trauma caused by gastroparesis are significant. Legal action might provide compensation for the pain and suffering experienced by the victim.
Parker Waichman LLP is Representing Victims with Claims Against Drug Makers of Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro
At Parker Waichman LLP, we are committed to seeking justice for victims who have suffered from the adverse effects of the medications Ozempic, Wegovy, and Mounjaro. We believe that the drug makers, Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly, failed to adequately disclose the potentially severe gastrointestinal risks of these drugs.
Why should you choose Parker Waichman LLP? Parker Waichman LLP is dedicated to legal excellence, client satisfaction, and ethical standards:
- Extensive Experience: Parker Waichman LLP has a wealth of experience in various areas of law, particularly in personal injury and product liability cases. The firm’s team of seasoned attorneys has handled numerous high-profile cases, showcasing their ability to navigate complex legal terrain.
- Successful Track Record: The firm has a proven track record of winning significant settlements and verdicts for its clients. This success rate demonstrates their skill in litigation, negotiation, and understanding of the legal system.
- Client-Centered Approach: Parker Waichman LLP places a strong emphasis on client satisfaction and personal attention. They offer free case evaluations and work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only charge if they win the case. This approach aligns their interests with those of their clients.
- Expertise in Specific Fields: With specialized knowledge in areas such as pharmaceutical litigation, medical malpractice, and defective products, the firm is well-positioned to take on cases that require in-depth understanding and unique insight. This expertise has led to success in complex and high-stakes litigation.
- Professional Recognition: Parker Waichman LLP has received numerous awards and accolades from legal organizations, peer review bodies, and other professional associations. These recognitions reflect the firm’s commitment to excellence, ethical practice, and client advocacy.
- Ethical Practice: The firm operates with a strong commitment to ethical standards, maintaining transparency, integrity, and professionalism in all interactions. This commitment to ethical practice instills confidence and trust among clients and peers alike.
- Innovative Legal Strategies: By employing innovative legal strategies and staying abreast of current legal developments, Parker Waichman LLP continues to be a leader in the legal field. Their willingness to adapt and innovate sets them apart from many other firms.
- Comprehensive Support: Beyond the courtroom, the firm offers comprehensive support to clients, helping them navigate various challenges that may arise during legal proceedings. Whether it’s medical referrals or support with documentation, the firm’s holistic approach to client care is notable.
- Community Involvement: Parker Waichman LLP is actively involved in community outreach and philanthropy. This engagement reflects a commitment not just to their clients but to the broader community and societal well-being.
As a victim, you have rights; we are here to help you understand and exercise those rights. Our legal team have decades of experience in pharmaceutical litigation. We will work tirelessly to ensure that your voice is heard and that you receive the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous and defective products. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation