TOMY Issues Safety Recall of Boon Flair and Elite Highchairs Due to Risk of Falls
TOMY International has announced a recall for its range of Boon Flair and Flair Elite highchairs, citing a risk that the seat can detach from the pedestal base, thus presenting a potential fall hazard. The recall is effective as of August 31, 2023.
- Boon Flair Elite Highchair (Model: B751, White/Orange)
- Boon Flair Highchair (Models include B701, B703, B704, B10147, among others. Various color combinations are involved.)
Extent of Recall:
- Units affected in the United States: Approximately 83,000
- Units affected in Canada: Roughly 2,850
The issue arises from the bolts that affix the seat to the pedestal base, which can loosen over time. This can result in the seat detaching and causing a fall.
Owners of the recalled highchairs are advised to cease use immediately. TOMY is offering a complimentary repair kit that includes a set of replacement bolts and washers.
To date, TOMY has received 34 complaints regarding the seat detaching from the base, 24 of which resulted in falls. Of these falls, 11 led to injuries.
Sales and Retailers:
The recalled highchairs were available for purchase at a variety of retailers, including Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, and Toys ‘R’ Us, as well as online platforms like Amazon.com, Target.com, and others. The Flair Elite model retailed for approximately $380 and was sold from 2008 to 2009, while the Flair models were available from January 2008 through February 2017 and retailed for between $230 and $250.
For further information, consumers can reach out to TOMY’s toll-free hotline between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. CT, from Monday to Friday. Alternatively, they can visit TOMY’s recall webpage for more details. The recall number is Recall Reference: 23-272. Consumers are encouraged to report any adverse incidents related to these highchairs to relevant authorities.
What Types of Injuries Could Be Sustained Due to This Defective High Chair?
The recall notice for the TOMY Boon Flair and Flair Elite highchairs indicates that the seat can detach from the pedestal base, posing a fall hazard. While the specific injuries that could be sustained would depend on a variety of factors—such as the height of the fall, the age and physical condition of the child, and the surface onto which the child falls—here are some possible types of injuries that could occur:
- Bruises and Abrasions: These are likely the most common injuries and could range from minor to severe depending on the circumstances of the fall.
- Sprains and Strains: Landing awkwardly could result in sprained ankles or wrists.
- Fractures: In more severe cases, the fall could result in broken bones, such as arm or leg fractures, especially if the child tries to catch themselves during the fall.
- Concussions: A fall from a high chair could result in a head injury, which in turn could lead to a concussion.
- Cuts and Lacerations: If the highchair breaks upon falling or if there are other objects nearby, cuts from sharp edges are possible.
- Spinal Injuries: Though less likely, severe falls could result in more serious injuries, such as damage to the spinal cord.
- Dental Injuries: A fall could result in chipped or knocked-out teeth, especially for toddlers who are still developing their dental structure.
- Emotional Distress: Beyond physical injuries, a fall from a high chair could also be a traumatic experience, potentially leading to fear or anxiety related to sitting in high chairs or similar seats in the future.
- Facial Injuries: Falling face-first could result in injuries to the face, affecting the eyes, nose, or mouth.
It’s crucial to consult a healthcare professional for a comprehensive examination if your child has experienced a fall from a high chair, even if immediate injuries are not apparent.
If you or a family member has suffered injuries due to the use of this recalled high chair, we invite you to reach out to us for a complimentary, no-obligation case evaluation. You may be eligible for significant financial compensation. As a leading national law firm specializing in product liability cases, Parker Waichman LLP is committed to helping victims secure the restitution they deserve, coast to coast across the United States.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Parker Waichman LLP helps families recover monetary compensation for harm caused by dangerous products like this defective product. For your free consultation, contact our national product liability law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation