Lamictal / Lamotrigine Immune System Injury Attorneys
The seizure and bipolar disorder drug Lamictal has been linked by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to severe immune system reactions. If not timely treated, these reactions can lead to serious injuries.
The experienced drug product attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP are investigating cases involving Lamictal injuries to seek compensation for injured patients. If you have suffered an immune reaction or another injury while taking the drug Lamictal, contact our offices today. Our lawyers offer free case consultations and will timely review your claims to determine your options for legal recourse.
Lamictal Drug Indications and Use
Lamictal, also known by the generic name lamotrigine, is manufactured by GlaxoSmithKline. The drug comes in tablet form and is indicated for the treatment of epilepsy and bipolar disorder. The drug is designed to control seizures associated with epilepsy and mood episodes associated with bipolar disorder.
Lamotrigine has been on the market for more than two decades but has recently been linked to a dangerous immune system reaction.
Lamictal Side Effects and Injuries: Life-Threatening Reactions
For several years, Lamictal has carried a “Black Box” warning regarding the risk for serious skin rashes. A Black Box warning is a severe type of warning that can be placed on a prescription drug label. It requires that severe warning information is placed at the top of a drug label, encased in a bold black box.
The Black Box warning on Lamictal states:
WARNING: SERIOUS SKIN RASHES
“Cases of life-threatening serious rashes, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis and/or rash-related death have been caused by lamotrigine. The rate of serious rash is greater in pediatric patients than in adults. Additional factors that may increase the risk of rash include:
- co-administration with valproate.
- exceeding recommended initial dose of Lamictal.
- exceeding recommended dose escalation for Lamictal.
Benign rashes are also caused by Lamictal; however, it is not possible to predict which rashes will prove to be serious or life-threatening. Lamictal should be discontinued at the first sign of rash, unless the rash is clearly not drug related.”
The skin rashes described in the Black Box warning cause extremely painful blisters, skin death, and skin shedding. Patients can suffer secondary infections, permanent disfigurement, visual impairment, and even death.
In addition, the Lamictal label already warns about the risk for fatal or life-threatening multiorgan hypersensitivity reactions, otherwise known as drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptoms (DRESS). DRESS can cause a painful skin rash and blisters that look similar to Stevens-Johnson syndrome, but DRESS can also cause organ injury and organ failure, and that can be fatal.
FDA Announces New Severe Immune Reaction
On April 25, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced a link between Lamictal and yet another type of reaction, one that “excessively activates the body’s infection-fighting immune system.” The FDA warned that this immune system reaction, called hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), can cause severe inflammation throughout the body, requiring immediate hospitalization. If the reaction is not timely diagnosed and treated, patients can die.
In the FDA’s Safety Alert about Lamictal and HLH, the agency stated that patients experiencing this reaction will typically present with a rash and fever greater than 101 degrees and can develop severe complications with their blood cells and organs, such as the liver, kidneys, and lungs. The FDA emphasized the need for early diagnosis and treatment, particularly because HLH symptoms can be vague and can mimic other conditions associated with Lamictal, like DRESS.
Symptoms of HLH
HLH can cause ambiguous symptoms or can manifest similarly to other syndromes and illnesses.
Symptoms of HLH can include:
- Skin rash
- Enlarged spleen
- Enlarged liver
- Pain or tenderness in the upper right belly
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Yellowing of the skin or eyes
- Unusual bleeding
- Balance disturbances
- Visual disturbances
- Cytopenia (low red blood cell count)
- Elevated triglycerides
- Hemophagocytosis (excess immune activation) in the bone marrow, spleen, or lymph nodes
- Elevated CD25 in blood
As a result of its new findings, the FDA requires GlaxoSmithKline and the manufacturers of generic lamotrigine to change their drug labels to warn patients and doctors about this immune system reaction.
Our lawyers are managing cases related to Lamictal reactions on behalf of injured patients or those who have lost their loved ones to these horrific drug complications. If you have a potential Lamictal/lamotrigine case, contact our offices today for a free case consultation.
Lamictal Lawsuit Process
If you have or a family member has been injured by a prescription drug like Lamictal, our attorneys can help you pursue deserved compensation from the manufacturer. Parker Waichman LLP has a simple, stress-free case intake process that allows us to review your claims while taking the worry off of your shoulders.
1. Contact Parker Waichman LLP – The first step is to contact us. You can reach Parker Waichman LLP 24 hours a day by phone at 1-800-YOURLAWYER or through the chat and Contact features on our website. You will quickly be connected with a compassionate member of our staff who will lead you to the right lawyer within our firm.
2. FREE Case Consultation –The next step is to conduct your case consultation with one of our drug product attorneys. We never charge clients for these meetings, which we can conduct over the phone or in one of our convenient office locations. We will use this consultation as an opportunity to learn about your injuries and form a strategy for moving forward.
3. Case Investigation – After your consultation, our attorneys will walk you through some paperwork that will allow us to begin investigating your claims. We will order your medical and prescription records to identify the exact manufacturer of your drug and the injuries you have suffered. This will tell us whether you have a viable claim we can file in court.
Potential Lamictal Case Compensation
If we can proceed to file your claim in court, we will draft a complaint that seeks the following types of compensation:
- The cost of your medical treatment, including treatment you have already received for your Lamictal injuries and treatment you will likely need in the future;
- The wages and income you have lost because of time missed at work, including future lost earnings and lost earning capacity;
- Damages associated with your physical and mental pain and suffering;
- Loss of consortium damages or compensation for the effects your injuries have had on your relationship with your spouse;
- Loss of support, household services, care, and comfort, if you are filing your lawsuit on behalf of a deceased loved one;
- Funeral or burial expenses, if you are filing on behalf of a deceased loved one.
We understand the significant effects your injuries or your loved one’s injuries have had on your life, and we want to help you seek the justice you deserve. Contact Parker Waichman LLP today to review your case with a seasoned lawyer about your potential case.
Contact Parker Waichman LLP
If you or your family member has developed a serious immune reaction from the drug Lamictal (lamotrigine), contact our offices today to schedule your free attorney consultation. You can reach us day or night by calling 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529) or by filling out the Contact form on our website.
Were you or a family member injured by Lamictal?Click To Get A Free Case Review