Pedestrian Accident Injury Lawyers in Manhattan, New York
If you or a member of your family have been struck by a motor vehicle, the experience can be overwhelming and even stressful. The injuries that pedestrian accident victims sustain can range from minor to severe, but in most instances, individuals suffer from serious and even fatal injuries. Although large motor vehicles might logically inflict the most harm to a pedestrian, even an average passenger vehicle can cause fatal injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in New York City, contact the caring and experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney at Parker Waichman LLP for your free consultation. In your free consultation, we will discuss your case and help you understand your legal rights concerning compensation for your injuries and other damages. Call our firm today at 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529) to receive your free case evaluation and defend your right to just compensation.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents in Manhattan
Oftentimes, pedestrians are injured in accidents that are caused by a negligent or careless driver. However, there are many factors that might cause or contribute to a pedestrian accident, including:
- Failing to obey traffic regulations and rules
- Distracted driving, which might include texting, using the phone, using the Internet, taking a photo, emailing, applying makeup, or eating while driving
- Driving while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Turning vehicles
- Fatigued driving
- Dangerous intersections
- Unsafe road conditions or inclement weather
- Defective or malfunctioning vehicles
No matter what caused your pedestrian accident, if you have sustained injuries, you might be facing extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation. Contact one of our experienced and dedicated Manhattan Pedestrian Accident Attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP today in order to find out what we can do for you.
Injuries that Victims Sustain in Pedestrian Accidents
If you have been in a pedestrian accident in New York City, you might be aware of the fact that only rarely do accident victims sustain minor injuries. Unfortunately, in most instances, the injuries that pedestrians sustain in accidents are serious and sometimes fatal. However, this is not surprising news since a pedestrian walking down the street is essentially unprotected from a motor vehicle barreling down the roadway or sidewalk towards that pedestrian. Pedestrian accident victims sustain a variety of injuries, but some of the more common injuries include:
- Bumps and bruises
- Abrasions and scrapes
- Broken bones and fractures
- Organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Limb amputation
- Spinal cord injuries
- Permanent disfigurement
At Parker Waichman LLP, our experienced and knowledgeable Pedestrian Accident Attorneys know that victims oftentimes are dealing with serious, life-changing injuries. Thus, if you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in New York City, call one of our legal professional right away to discuss your case.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Pedestrian Accidents in Manhattan, New York
Q: If I have been in a pedestrian accident in New York City, what should I do?
A: If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in New York City, try to remain calm and assess whether you or anyone else has been injured. It might be a good idea to call law enforcement whether or not you can determine that individuals have been injured. You may also want to consider taking the following steps:
- Exchange contact information with those involved in the accident including names, phone numbers, insurance information, and license plate numbers.
- Obtain the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- If you have a phone or a camera available, it might be a good idea to take photographs of the accident scene.
- If you have been injured in the accident, it is important that you seek medical treatment right away. There are many medical facilities located in New York City.
- Never admit fault for an accident.
- Keep track of all of medical records and medical bills, any days that you’ve missed work as a result of your injuries, and be sure to attend your scheduled medical and therapy appointments.
- Consult with a skilled an experienced New York City Pedestrian Accident Attorney as soon as possible to preserve your rights to compensation.
Q: How do I obtain a copy of my pedestrian accident report?
A: If the Department of Motor Vehicles has processed your pedestrian accident report, you should be able to review the information online on how to access it. But you can also visit a New York City Police Department to obtain a copy:
New York City Police Department
1 Police Plaza Path
New York, NY 10007
New York City Police Department
4707 Pearson Place
Long Island City, NY 11101
New York City Police Department, 13th Precinct
230 E 21st Street
New York, NY 10010
New York City Police Department, 25th Precinct
120 E 119th Street
New York, NY 10035
Q: Do I have any legal rights as a pedestrian?
A: Pedestrians have many rights and responsibilities under the law, including:
- Pedestrians walking, jogging, or running on the road. If there is a sidewalk available for use, it usually is better to utilize the sidewalk rather than the roadway.
- Crosswalk right of way. If a pedestrian is inside of a crosswalk, any approaching motorists must yield to the pedestrians unless there are signs or signals that may indicate otherwise. No matter what, pedestrians should use caution when they are crossing the street.
- Sidewalk right of way. If a motorist is entering the street from a driveway, private road, or alley, and a pedestrian is present, the motorist usually should yield.
- Roadways that do not have sidewalks. If a pedestrian is walking down a road without sidewalks, it is a good idea to walk as far to the left as possible, and in the direction towards oncoming traffic.
- Crossing the road when not at an intersection. Pedestrians should avoid crossing the road if there is no crosswalk or intersection. However, if they must cross, yield to the traffic that is present.
Q: Will I obtain compensation if I am injured in a pedestrian accident? If so, what kinds of damages?
A: If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, you most likely have been seriously injured. Accordingly, you may be entitled to compensation for those injuries and any other damages that you’ve sustained. Although the facts and circumstances of every pedestrian accident are different, the types of compensation you might be entitled to include:
- Medical expenses
- Past and future wages
- Non-economic damages like pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
Q: Who is responsible for injuries and damages that are incurred in a New York pedestrian accident?
A: While most of the time a negligent driver is responsible for the injuries they cause a pedestrian, there might be cases where a third party is responsible. At Parker Waichman LLP, our experienced New York City Pedestrian Accident Attorneys will always work hard to ensure that you obtain the best results possible in your pedestrian accident case. Some examples of third parties who might be responsible for a pedestrian accident include:
- Government entities that are responsible for road conditions or defects
- Manufacturers of a defective vehicle or vehicle part
- Passengers that distract a driver
- Vehicle owners who knowingly allow an incompetent individual to borrow their vehicle lend their vehicle
New York is also what is known as a no-fault insurance state. What this means is the no matter who might be responsible for an accident, a vehicle insurance company will compensate accident victims, which include pedestrians. The damages that an insurance company might pay out include economic damages such as medical expenses and lost wages. However, there may be instances where you might also be able to file a lawsuit for your injury and other damages such as pain and suffering.
Q: Is there a deadline or time limit for filing a pedestrian accident lawsuit in New York?
A: The time limit, deadline, or statute of limitations for filing a pedestrian accident lawsuit in New York is three years from the date of the accident. But there are some instances where the time limit is shorter or longer. Most often, the statute of limitations changes if the accident resulted in death. Because the statute of limitations can vary, and you can lose your rights to compensation if you miss this deadline, it is important to contact an experienced attorney in order to protect your right to compensation.
Q: If the vehicle leaves he scene of the accident after it hits me, what should I do?
A: If you have been in a pedestrian accident, and the vehicle that hit you takes off, you should call law enforcement right away. Tell the police officer the details of the accident if you can remember them. These details might include the make and model of the car, the color, and maybe even the license plate number. If anyone witnessed the accident, it is important that you also obtain their contact information. It might be a good idea to contact your own vehicle insurance carrier to let them know you have sustained injuries in a hit and run accident. If you have questions about your case, be sure to contact an experienced New York City Pedestrian Accident Attorney at Parker Waichman LLP today.
Choose Parker Waichman LLP To Take On Your Pedestrian Accident Case
The lawyers at Parker Waichman LLP have many years of experience assisting clients who have sustained injuries in pedestrian accidents. At our law firm, our lawyers have a reputation for success as a result of the successful results we have achieved for our clients. Some of the awards and accolades that we have received over the years include:
- A Peer Review Listing as “Best Lawyers”
- 8 out of 10 on AVVO.com
- An AV Peer Review Rating as “Preeminent Lawyers” in Martindale-Hubbell
- com’s highest ranking of “5 Dragons”
If you decide that Parker Waichman LLP is the right firm to take on your pedestrian accident case, you can expect compassionate and dedicated legal representation by lawyers who truly care about our clients.
Contact One Of Our New York City Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Today
If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident in Manhattan, New York, contact Parker Waichman LLP as soon as possible. The experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorneys, can provide you with a free case consultation, and you can rest easy knowing that your lawyer will assist you and your family with making sure you have access to the justice and compensation you deserve. Not only do we provide free initial case evaluations, but we also take pedestrian accident cases on a contingency fee basis. What this means is that we don’t get paid unless and until you get paid. Contact us today by calling 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one been harmed in a pedestrian accident?Click To Get A Free Case Review
More on NYC accidents: