Cosmetics are dangerous when they fall into the wrong hands. Researchers studied the dangers cosmetic products posed to children from 2002 until 2016 and learned that nearly 65,000 kids were treated at emergency departments in hospitals across the United States during that timeframe. The tender age of the victims was the most shocking statistic that jumped off the page to researchers. The children injured by cosmetic products were aged five years or younger, according to a report appearing on the Media Arts Entertainment Worldwide (MEAWW) website.
The cosmetics industry is a massive component of the U.S. economy. In 2016, the cosmetic industry generated $62 billion in revenue. The vast majority of homes in the U.S. have some cosmetic products in them. The industry defines cosmetics broadly as any product that helps cleanse, beautify, alter one’s appearance, or make a person look more attractive. Thus, the line of cosmetic products sold in the U.S. runs the gamut from deodorant to makeup and everything in between.
The ubiquitous nature of cosmetic products in American lives exposes children to serious and sometimes life-threatening injuries. For example, the study demonstrated that almost 60 percent of the children seen in emergency departments for cosmetic product-related injuries were two years old or younger. Almost 87 percent of those children suffered from poisoning after ingesting a cosmetic product. The other 13 percent sustained various degrees of burn injuries. Boys are just slightly more likely to suffer an injury from a cosmetic product than girls. Furthermore, almost 99 percent of all cosmetic injuries to children occurred in the home where children have greater access to cosmetic products.
Poisoning from ingesting cosmetics poses a substantial threat to children. From 1999 to 2015, seven children died after drinking a cosmetic product. Furthermore, researchers identified cosmetic products as the substance that caused the greatest amount of calls to the poison control center.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
Did you or a loved one sustain an airbag injury? Parker Waichman LLP helps those who have suffered airbaginjuries receive full monetary compensation. Trust your case with our airbag shrapnel injury lawsuit lawyers. For a free consultation, contact our law firm today by using our live chat or calling 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation