Log Splitters And Toy Boxes Recalled By CPSC. Log Splitters and Children’s Toy Boxes are being recalled for choking and amputation hazards, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced.
Brave Products Inc. of Streator, Illinois, re-announced a recall of its Log Splitters due to additional incidents that prompted an urgent warning of an amputation hazard. About 8,000
Brave Products Log Splitters were recalled in July 2007
(http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml07/07243.html) and 4,000 additional units were recalled in February 2005 (http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml05/05110.html) because the log splitter’s hydraulic cylinders can have defective rod retention, causing the seals to leak and the rods to detach. This can result in serious injury to the operator, as the rod can rapidly and unexpectedly extend the splitting wedge.
The CPSC said that Brave Products originally received 59 reports of leaking cylinders and/or rod retention failure. One consumer reported a hand amputation that could have been caused by this cylinder defect. There have been 26 additional reports of failure, including units previously thought to be unaffected by the earlier recalls. No new injuries have been reported.
The recalled Brave Products Log Splitters were made in the United States and sold at Ace, True Value, and Do It Best Hardware stores and independent power equipment dealers nationwide from January 2002 through April 2007 for between $900 and $2,000.
Consumers, including those who contacted the firm after the previously announced recalls, should immediately stop using the recalled log splitters and contact the firm to receive a free replacement cylinder. Brave Products can be reached toll-free at 1-800-350-8739 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday; in writing at Brave Products Inc., P.O. Box 577, Streator, IL 61364-0577; or at the firm’s Websites at www.logsplitters-ironoak.com (PDF), or www.braveproducts.com (PDF).
The log splitters are made of steel and are painted orange and black or blue and black, and have trailer hitches and rubber tires. Each log splitter has a decal on the side that reads “Brave Products, Inc.” or “Iron & Oak” and “__ ton” (either 15, 22, 26, or 34). The serial number is located on the hydraulic tank. The following Brave Products or Iron & Oak models are included in the recall:
Brave Log Splitter Models/Serial Numbers:
- 34 ton: Model VH0234 and VH0634; Serial Numbers S008277 through S030562
- 26 ton: Model VH9926 and VH0626; Serial Numbers S006836 through S030558
- 22 ton: Model VH9922 and VH0622; Serial Numbers S006691 through S030701
- 22 ton: Model SSR0622; Serial Numbers S020721 through S029688
- 15 ton: Model HB0115; Serial Numbers S013853 through S017534
Iron & Oak Log Splitter Models/Serial Numbers:
- 34 ton: Model BHVH3402 and BHVH3405; Serial Numbers S008724 through S030442
- 26 ton: Model BHVH2699, BHVH2602, and Duro-Glide; Serial Numbers S006847 through S030538
- 22 ton: Model BHVH2299, BHVH2202, and Duro-Glide; Serial Numbers S006735 through S030547
- 22 ton: Model BHVH2299, BHVH2202FC, and Duro-Glide; Serial Numbers S013853 through S030537
- 30 ton: Model BHH3003; Serial Numbers S008457 through S030439
- 30 ton: Model BHH2003; Serial Numbers S006746 through S030491
- 15 ton: Model HBHH0115; Serial Numbers S013853 through S017534
- Tractor Mount: Model TMVH95/HYD, TMVH02/PTO, and TMVH03/HYD; Serial Numbers S006645 through S029584
Lakeshore Learning Materials’ Toy Boxes:
Lakeshore Learning Materials, of Carson, California is recalling about 3,600 “What’s Inside? Soft Toy Boxes” because the head of the stuffed butterfly toy can detach from the body, posing a choking hazard to children. Lakeshore has received three reports of the head of the butterfly detaching from the body; no injuries were reported. The recalled Soft Toy Boxes are a soft, multi-colored box with a different color on each side. “What’s Inside?” is embroidered on the front of the box and symbols of a lion, flower, and purple butterfly are stitched on another side. Each “feely box” contains ten small stuffed pieces. The piece affected by this recall is the pink and purple butterfly.
The recalled Lakeshore Learning Materials “What’s Inside? Soft Toy Boxes” were sold at Lakeshore Learning Materials stores nationwide and Toys To Grow On™ catalogs from September 2008 through February 2009 for about $40. The recalled Lakeshore Learning Materials “What’s Inside? Soft Toy Boxes” were made in China
The CPSC is advising consumers to immediately take the recalled “What’s Inside? Soft Toy Boxes” away from children and contact Lakeshore to receive a free replacement butterfly. Lakeshore Learning Materials can be reached toll-free at 1-800-428-4414 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time, Monday through Friday, or at the firm’s Web site at www.lakeshorelearning.com.