The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning notice about the recall of certain eye drops due to non-sterility. Pharmedica USA LLC has voluntarily issued a recall of two lots of its Purely Soothing, 15% MSM Drops, which were sold worldwide through trade shows and online marketplaces like Amazon. The affected eye drops have eye dropper caps and white lids, and are described as an anti-inflammatory that is intended to assist with ocular irritation and/or swelling. The FDA has warned that the use of contaminated eye drops can cause eye infections that may lead to blindness.
Customers who have purchased the recalled product are urged to stop using it immediately and to return it. Wholesalers and retailers are also instructed to stop distributing the affected product and either return it or ensure it is disposed of properly. There have been no reports of adverse events or illness related to this recall so far.
This is the latest in a series of recent recalls of eye drops. In the past weeks, there have been recalls for Brimonidine Tartrate Ophthalmic Solution due to cracks in some units’ caps that could impact sterility, as well as Delsam Pharma’s Artificial Eye Ointment and all lots of EzriCare and Delsam Pharma’s artificial tears products due to possible contamination. Dozens of infections reported in multiple states may be associated with the use of the artificial tears manufactured by Global Pharma Healthcare.
The FDA has advised patients who have signs or symptoms of an eye infection to seek medical care immediately. Symptoms may include:
- Green, yellow, or clear discharge from the eye.
- Eye pain or discomfort.
- Redness of the eye or eyelid.
- The feeling of something in your eye (foreign body sensation).
- Increased sensitivity to light and blurry vision.
The Stages of a Product Liability Lawsuit
A product liability lawsuit is a legal action taken against a manufacturer or seller of a defective or dangerous product. It is a complex legal process that requires several steps, which may vary by jurisdiction. Below are the general steps involved in a product liability lawsuit:
- Investigation: The plaintiff (injured party) will investigate the facts of the case, including the product defect, the injuries sustained, and the parties responsible.
- Filing the complaint: The plaintiff files a complaint with the court, detailing the allegations of the case, the harm caused, and the damages sought.
- Answer: The defendant (manufacturer or seller) files an answer to the complaint, admitting or denying the allegations, and may also file a counterclaim.
- Discovery: Both parties exchange information and evidence related to the case, including documents, witness statements, and expert reports.
- Motions: Either party can file motions with the court, asking for a dismissal of the case or a ruling on a specific issue.
- Settlement negotiations: The parties may negotiate a settlement at any point in the process, and if they reach an agreement, the case is resolved without going to trial.
- Trial: If the case does not settle, it goes to trial, where the evidence and arguments are presented to a judge or jury. The jury or judge will decide if the defendant is liable and if so, what damages should be awarded.
- Appeals: Either party may appeal the decision to a higher court, arguing that legal errors were made during the trial.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
If you lost a loved one suffered harm due to a contaminated Purely Soothing 15% MSM Drop, you have the right to seek justice and compensation for your losses. The national product liability attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP are here to help you understand your legal options and file your defective medical device lawsuit, if qualified.
The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit is limited by law. Call Parker Waichman LLP today at 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529) to receive a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our national product liability attorneys. Our toll-free number is available 24/7, so you can call us anytime, day or night. We are here to answer your questions, listen to your concerns, and help your family receive justice and financial compensation.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation