The Archdiocese of Chicago has removed two more priests for alleged sexual improprieties, bringing to five the number of priests removed in the archdiocese this year because of an independent review board investigation.
The Rev. R. Peter Bowman, 73, retired last year as the archdiocese vicar for administration. The Archdiocese removed him from the ministry Sunday because of allegations of sexual misconduct with a minor more than 45 years ago, when he was an associate pastor.
The Rev. Donald Mulsoff, 58, was associate pastor at St. Celestine Church until his removal Sunday. Archdiocese spokesman James Dwyer said Mulsoff is accused of misconduct with minors more than 25 years ago at two parishes.
No one answered Monday at telephone numbers listed for the two men. An archiocese spokesman said the archdiocese would not make them available for comment.
Dwyer said both cases were referred to prosecutors, though they may be too old for legal action. State’s Attorney spokeswoman Marcy O’Boyle said Monday that attorneys had not determined yet whether charges could be filed.
Cardinal Francis George said the Archdiocese takes allegations seriously no matter how old they are.
“No matter what (the abuse) is, it’s as if it happened yesterday,” he said.