How to Ensure That You Receive FULL compensation for Your Injuries
New York Slip And Fall accidents can occur in an instant and result in significant injuries. These cases can be complicated, which is why you need a lawyer who understands the law and recognizes that your injuries need to be taken seriously.
Parker Waichman LLP is an established personal injury and premises liability law firm, and we have years of experience litigating these cases. Contact one of our dedicated attorneys today to discuss your potential for filing a lawsuit if you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident.
EXPERIENCED SLIP-AND-FALL ATTORNEYS IN NEW YORK
In hiring us to pursue your claim, you can feel assured that your case is in the hands of experienced professionals with a track record of success. We have secured tremendous results for our clients through the years, and we are ready to add your case to our list of favorable outcomes.
Results When You Need Them Most
Our superior client advocacy shows in some of the settlements and verdicts we have achieved for people injured due to falls. Some of our recent New York Slip And Fall and trip-and-fall settlements and verdicts include:
- $4.5 million for a man who sustained fractures to his left elbow, left wrist, and ribs after falling over a stanchion that remained on a sidewalk after a light pole had been removed.
- $2.7 million for a woman who fractured her ankle when her shoe became caught in rotten wood planks on a train platform.
- $2.4 million for a man who tripped over a galvanized electrical conduit in the sidewalk and fractured his humerus and left elbow.
- $400,000 for a tenant who sustained right arm fractures after falling on construction debris in an apartment building stairwell.
We know that your injuries are not something to shake off, and we will fiercely advocate for you to receive deserved compensation from the owner of the premises on which you fell. Our clients and their families are extremely important to us; they are why we are in this business. Parker Waichman LLP is representation you can count on during this difficult time. Call or email our firm today to find out how we can help you obtain the result you need.
Slip-and-Fall Causes and Injuries in New York
Slip-and-fall cases and trip-and-fall cases can involve numerous causes. New York Slip And Fall accidents usually involve someone slipping on a slick surface, while trip-and-fall accidents generally occur when someone trips over an obstruction. Some of the most common causes of both of these accidents include:
- Snow on premises
- Ice on premises
- Water or puddles on premises
- Oil or slick substance spills on premises
- Broken or uneven portions of the sidewalk on premises
- Potholes or defects in parking lot on premises
- Fallen or discarded items in walkways on premises
- Broken, uneven, or loose flooring on premises
- Bunched, loose, or torn carpet on premises
- Loose rugs or mats on premises
- Pipes or objects sticking through the floor on premises
- Inadequate lighting on premises such that patrons cannot see where they are walking
- Unclear signage or lack of signage on premises to mark steps or changes in flooring
- Broken, rusted, or loose railings on premises
- Rotten, weakened, or degraded wood on premises
- Broken or uneven stairs on premises
Common Slip and Fall Injuries in New York
When people slip or trip and fall because of one of the above problems, they can suffer severe injuries. These can include:
- Fractured Bones
- Broken Bones
- Shattered Bones
- Torn Ligaments
- Internal Injury
- Head Trauma
- Spinal Cord Injury
If someone falls from a height, such as when a balcony railing gives way, the consequences can be devastating. Many of these injuries require surgery to repair, and some end up requiring multiple surgeries and extended hospital stays. All of these injuries have detrimental effects on the victims’ lives. They suffer physical and emotional damage and have to undergo costly medical treatment while taking time away work and time away from their families. As the financial burden increases, people start to feel like they have nowhere to turn. This is where a dedicated attorney can step in to help.
The attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP understand how your injuries have affected you, and we want to help you recover the compensation you need to cover your medical expenses and make up for the time you have had to take off work. We will guide you through the legal process and bring some much-needed peace of mind to you and your family.
Elements of Slip-and-Fall Litigation
In proving a slip-and-fall case or trip-and-fall case, we have to be able to establish a few things in court or throughout the course of your case:
- A dangerous condition existed on the premises;
- The premises owner a) knew about the dangerous condition or b) should have known about the dangerous condition;
- The premises owner failed to take corrective action to eliminate the condition;
- You were injured in some way on the premises; and
- Your slip and fall injury was caused by the dangerous condition on the premises.
New York Slip and Fall Laws
New York law requires that the premises owner has had a reasonable time to correct the dangerous condition. For instance, during a snowstorm, the owner needs reasonable time to clear off the walkways and parking lot before a person would be able to bring a viable cause of action for slipping on the snow. In addition, upon learning that maintenance needs to be completed, the owner must be allowed a certain amount of time to carry out such maintenance.
Owners have a duty to make sure that their premises are safe for patrons and customers. People expect to be free from harm while they are in a public place, and owners need to perform routine maintenance to make sure they are aware of all potential dangers. If they fail to perform necessary sweeps of the premises and regular upkeep, people can be injured in slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall situations. When people are injured in this way, they should hold the premises owners accountable.
Our lawyers understand the law on these cases, and we know what it takes to win. Though these can sometimes be difficult claims to resolve, Parker Waichman LLP will get to the bottom of what happened in your case and tenaciously seek the outcome you and your family deserve.
Statutes of Limitations on New York Slip And Fall Cases
Before filing your slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall case, you must make sure your right to file has not expired under the state statute of limitations. A statute of limitations is a time limit on filing your claim that is imposed by state law. These time limits can act to permanently bar your claim if you do not file in time, regardless of the merits of your case.
One of the reasons states pass statutes of limitations is to preserve the integrity of the judicial process. If you file your case expediently, you will tend to be prepared with more reliable evidence. However, if you delay, any witnesses you might call will have had more time to forget what they saw, and any documents or records you need might have been lost or destroyed. Also, states have an interest in conserving resources that potential defendants might expend in indefinitely preparing for anticipated litigation.
All states have their own statutes of limitations that vary based on the type claim and the nature of the allegations and injuries. Generally, New York has a three-year statute of limitations on filing slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall cases. This means you have three years from the date of the accident to file your claim. However, the unique facts and circumstances of your case can change that calculation. This is one of the reasons it is very important to work with a skilled attorney who will determine the correct time limit to file your individual case. The attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP are diligent about investigating cases to calculate the statute of limitations right away. Our attorneys want to make sure that we have enough time to put together the strongest case we can and file it in the correct court. Contact our New York office today to discuss your case and your potential statute of limitations.
How Can a New York Slip And Fall Lawyer in New York Help Me?
In pursuing your slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident case, we will aggressively fight for compensation for all of your injuries. An accident like this can cause not only physical injury but also mental distress and financial damages. You should be compensated appropriately for your various injuries, and our firm will work to provide you exactly that. We will seek damages for every way you were harmed by the accident, which can include:
- Medical expense reimbursement for the medical treatment you have received and will need to receive in the future because of your injuries;
- Lost wages to make up for the time you have already taken off work and will need to take off work in the future because of your injuries;
- Damages for the physical and mental pain and suffering you have endured because of the accident; and
- Loss of consortium damages for the ways your injuries have affected your relationship with your spouse.
When you hire our New York law firm, you can be confident we will do everything we can to obtain the highest level of compensation possible. Our law office has secured more than $2 billion in settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we will advocate for your individual needs. During your accident case, our attorneys will stand by your side and make sure your voice is heard. If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident, do not delay in hiring counsel to protect your rights. Parker Waichman LLP can begin your case investigation today and dedicate the time and attention your claims deserve.
Accident Claims Process in New York
Your Parker Waichman accident attorney will perform a thorough investigation of your claim in order to be assured that you receive the best outcome possible. When you contact our firm, you will be able to speak to one of our compassionate staff members, who will listen to your account of what happened and explain the process we ordinarily follow in reviewing cases. Also, you will begin working with a seasoned litigator in our firm, who will perform the following tasks on your behalf:
- Take down a detailed account of your accident, including what condition you slipped or tripped upon and what injuries you experienced;
- Identify and contact anyone who might have witnessed your accident; including anyone who also noticed the condition on which you slipped or tripped;
- Speak with staff members or other people affiliated with the pertinent premises to determine whether the owner knew about the condition or if he or she should have known about the condition that caused you to fall;
- Order medical records documenting the treatment you received because of your accident injuries;
- Obtain documents describing maintenance performed by the premises or detailing any conversations, memos, etc. discussing the condition that caused your injuries;
- Hire medical or industry experts to provide favorable testimony for your case;
- Draft a demand letter to send to the premises owner, insurance carriers, and counsel;
- Engage in negotiations with the premises owner, insurance carriers, and counsel; and
- Draft and file a Petition for Damages on your behalf.
These are just the steps leading up to the filing of your case, at which point we will initiate additional discovery, including depositions. If your slip and fall case progresses to trial, you will feel assured that you are represented by people who have the skills and experience necessary to achieve the verdict you need. Call our office to talk with us today about the services we will provide to you and your family.
What Should I Do if I Have a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
Following a slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident, it can be difficult to know what needs to be done. The commotion of the incident will undoubtedly leave you shaken and confused. Keep these essential things in mind should you find yourself in this situation:
- Seek medical attention. – Regardless of how you feel, it is necessary to seek medical attention after a severe fall. You need a medical evaluation to make sure you do not have any severe injuries and receive proper care in the event you have been harmed. Remember, you have a right to request a copy of your medical records following the conclusion of your treatment, and having these records in advance can help to speed up your legal case.
- Make a note of the situation. – After your fall, look around to see what you tripped or slipped upon. It will be important for you to understand what caused the accident so that your attorney knows where to start at the outset of your case investigation.
- Document your surroundings and injuries. – If you have a camera or camera phone and can take photos, it will be extremely helpful for you to take photos of the condition that caused you to fall and of any injuries you have suffered. If you need to wait to take some photographs of your injuries, you should do so as soon as you can to document the injuries as accurately as possible. It will be necessary to have evidence of the condition that caused your fall and the nature of your injuries.
- Notify the owner. – Following a fall, the premises owner needs to be notified that you fell, why you fell, and how you have been injured. You can do this while you are still there if the owner is present, but be sure not to make any statements accepting any blame for your injuries. You unquestionably should not sign any documents, as the owner might try to get you to waive a lawsuit. It is sometimes best to wait for your lawyer to make any contact with the owner.
- Hire an experienced attorney. – After you have slipped or tripped and fallen, you need to hire a skilled lawyer to investigate your claim and seek damages for your injuries. The lawyers at Parker Waichman LLP have extensive experience with these cases and will help you secure the compensation you need for your injuries.
By following these important steps, you will be on track for a successful accident claim against the premises owner. However, if you are unable to accomplish any of these, do not worry. Our attorneys will perform a thorough workup of your claim and uncover all the evidence you need to obtain the best result possible.
TALK WITH ONE OF OUR New York Slip And Fall ATTORNEYS TODAY
The legal system is difficult to understand, especially when you are filing a claim against a premises owner that undoubtedly has experienced insurance counsel determined to undermine your claim. We try to take some of the stress out of this experience for you by implementing a very simple process for beginning your case investigation. The first time you contact our office, you can initiate a review of your claims and obtain your free initial consultation with one of our skilled New York premises liability attorneys.
We know that following an injury from slipping or tripping and falling, you are likely already under some financial strain as medical bills come in. That is one reason we offer case consultations for free. Your initial meeting with us is at no cost to you, and we will investigate your case without ever asking for money down. If we happen to conclude that we cannot move forward with your case, you never need to be concerned you will someday receive a bill from us. The expenses we have incurred will not be yours to pay.
No Recovery, No Fee
If on the other hand, our lawyers find that we can proceed with your case, we will advance the costs of litigating your claims. A lawsuit can be costly, and we recognize everyday people cannot afford the expenses associated with prosecuting a New York Slip And Fall claim. This is why we assume the financial risks of litigation ourselves by offering free consultations and contracting all our slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall cases on a contingency fee basis. This means that we only get paid if you get paid. Our recovery is dependent on yours, so if you don’t receive an award, you won’t owe us a cent.
Why Hire Parker Waichman LLP?
Our attorneys know the thought of hiring a lawyer and filing a lawsuit in court can seem a little overwhelming, but by hiring Parker Waichman’s lawyer for your case, you can be confident we have the resources and experience you need to achieve justice. No case is too complicated for our skilled lawyers, and we will work tirelessly to give you and your family results.
National Reputation of Excellence
During our personal injury and premises liability practice, we have received numerous accolades and honors from our colleagues, judges, and current and former clients. We recognize how vital a favorable result is to you and your family, and we know you are trusting us to protect your valuable rights. We take that very seriously. When you work with our firm, you are partnering with attorneys who care about you and care about making a difference. Contact our firm today to find out more about how we can ease the burdens placed upon you and your family.
Awards and Accolades Our Firm Has Received
Parker Waichman LLP has a long history of achieving results for people injured during slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall cases. We have become one of the leading plaintiffs’ law firms in New York for personal injury and premises liability litigation, earning honors and accolades that include:
- 8 (out of a perfect 10) Rating by AVVO (a service that rates every attorney in the United States)
- “Preeminent Lawyers” an AV Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® – which has rated attorneys for over 100 years.
- The Highest Ranking of “5 Dragons” by Lawdragon
- Listed in Best Lawyers Publication, determined by Extensive Peer Review
Contact Parker Waichman LLP for Your Free Case Review Today
If you were involved in slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident in New York, contact our firm today for your free consultation by filling out our online form or by calling 1-800-YOURLAWYER (1-800-968-7529).
How Do I Get My Police Report in Manhattan?
Immediately after an arrest or accident has taken place, the Manhattan office investigating the incident will write up a report. Upon completion of this report, a public portion will immediately become available. However, until the ongoing case is closed, much of the crucial information will be hidden from the public portion. When the case is indeed closed, either you or your attorney can contact a local Manhattan police department to request a copy of the intact report. There is often a waiting period that goes along with getting a period of the report and the methods of obtaining it will vary, such as in person, electronically, or through the mail.
Uptown Neighborhoods Astor Row Carnegie Hill Central Harlem East Harlem Fort George Hamilton Heights Harlem Hudson Heights Inwood Le Petit Senegal Lenox Hill Lincoln Square Manhattan Valley Manhattanville Marble Hill Marcus Garvey Park Morningside Heights St. Nicholas Historic District Sugar Hill Upper East Side Upper Manhattan Upper West Side Washington Heights West Harlem Yorkville Midtown Neighborhoods Columbus Circle Diamond District Garment District Hell’s Kitchen Herald Square Hudson Yards Korea Town Little Brazil Madison Square Midtown Midtown East Midtown West Murray Hill Rockefeller Center Sutton Place Tenderloin Theater District Times Square Tudor City Turtle Bay Neighborhoods Between Midtown and Downtown Brookdale Chelsea Flatiron District Flower District Gramercy Park Hudson Yards Kips Bay NoMad Peter Cooper Village Rose Hill Stuyvesant Square Stuyvesant Town Union Square Waterside Plaza Downtown Neighborhoods Alphabet City Battery Park City Bowery Chinatown Civic Center Cooperative Village Downtown Manhattan East Village Financial District Five Points Greenwich Village Little Australia Little Germany Little Italy Little Syria Lower East Side NoHo NoLIta Radio Row SoHo South Street Seaport TriBeCa Two Bridges West Village Islands Near Manhattan Ellis Island Governors Island Liberty Island Randalls and Wards Islands Roosevelt Island
New York City Police Department (646) 610-5000
1 Police Plaza Path, New York, NY 10038 New York City Police Department - 1st Precinct (212) 334-0611
16 Ericsson Pl, New York, NY 10013 New York City Police Department - 5th Precinct (212) 334-0711
19 Elizabeth St, New York, NY 10013 New York City Police Department - 6th Precinct (212) 741-4811
233 West 10 St, New York, NY 10014 New York City Police Department - 7th Precinct (212) 477-7311
12 1/3 Pitt St, New York, NY 10002 New York City Police Department - 9th Precinct (212) 477-7811
321 East 5 St, New York, NY 10003 New York City Police Department - 10th Precinct (212) 741-8211
230 West 20th St, New York, NY 10011 New York City Police Department - 13th Precinct (212) 477-7411
230 East 21st St, New York, NY 10010 New York City Police Department - 17th Precinct (212) 826-3211
167 East 21st St, New York, NY 10022 New York City Police Department - 19th Precinct (212) 452-0600
153 East 67th St, New York, NY 10065 New York City Police Department - 20th Precinct (212) 580-6411
120 West 82nd St, New York, NY 10024 New York City Police Department - 23rd Precinct (212) 860-6411
164 East 102nd St, New York, NY 10029 New York City Police Department - 24th Precinct (212) 678-1811
151 West 100th St, New York, NY 10025 New York City Police Department - 25th Precinct (212) 860-6511
120 East 119th St, New York, NY 10035 New York City Police Department - 26th Precinct (212) 678-1311
520 West 126th St, New York, NY 10027 New York City Police Department - 28th Precinct (212) 678-1611
2271-89 Frederick Douglass Blvd, New York, NY 10027 New York City Police Department - 30th Precinct (212) 690-8811
451 West 151st St, New York, NY 10031 New York City Police Department - 32nd Precinct (212) 690-6311
250 West 135th St, New York, NY 10030 New York City Police Department - 33rd Precinct (212) 927-3200
2207 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10032 New York City Police Department - 34th Precinct (212) 927-9711
4295 Broadway, New York, NY 10033 NYPD Manhattan Central Booking (212) 374-3838
100 Centre St, New York, NY 10013 NYC Police Department (646) 610-5000
2 Lafayette St, New York, NY 10007 Central Park Precinct (212) 570-4820
86th St & Transverse Rd, New York, NY 10024 Midtown North Precinct (212) 767-8400
306 West 54th St, New York, NY 10019 Midtown South Precinct (212) 239-9811
357 West 35th St, New York, NY 10001
Bellevue Hospital Center (212) 562-4141
462 1st Ave, New York, NY 10016 Coler-Goldwater Specialty Hospital (212) 848-6000
900 Main St, New York, NY 10044 Gracie Square Hospital (212) 434-5300
420 E 76th St, New York, NY 10021 Harlem Hospital Center (212) 939-1000
506 Lenox Ave, New York, NY 10037 Hospital for Special Surgery (212) 606-1000
535 E 70th St, New York, NY 10021 Lenox Hill Hospital (212) 434-2000
100 E 77th St, New York, NY 10075 Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital (212) 838-9200
210 E 64th St, New York, NY 10065 Manhattan Psychiatric Center (646) 672-6767
600 E 125th St, New York, NY 10035 Manhattan Veterans Administration Hospital (212) 686-7500
423 E 23rd St, New York, NY 10010 Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (212) 639-2000
1275 York Ave, New York, NY 10065 Metropolitan Hospital Center (212) 423-6262
1901 1st Ave, New York, NY 10029 Mount Sinai Beth Israel (212) 420-2000
281 1st Ave, New York, NY 10003 Mount Sinai Hospital (212) 241-6500
1468 Madison Ave, New York, NY 10029 Mount Sinai Morningside (212) 523-4000
1111 Amsterdam Ave, New York, NY 10025 Mount Sinai West (212) 523-4000
1000 10th Ave, New York, NY 10019 New York-Presbyterian – Allen Hospital (212) 932-4000
5141 Broadway, New York, NY 10034 New York-Presbyterian Columbia University Medical Center (212) 305-2500
630 W 168th St, New York, NY 10032 New York-Presbyterian Lower Manhattan Hospital (212) 312-5000
170 William St, New York, NY 10038 New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center (212) 746-5454
525 E 68th St, New York, NY 10065 New York Eye and Ear Infirmary (212) 979-4000
310 E 14th St, New York, NY 10003 NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases (212) 598-6000
301 E 17th St, New York, NY 10003 NYU Langone Medical Center (646) 929-7870
550 1st Ave, New York, NY 10016 Rockefeller Institute Hospital (212) 327-8000
1230 York Ave, New York, NY 10065
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation
Have you or a loved one suffered a serious injury due to a slip and fall accident?Click To Get A Free Case Review