Product liability lawsuits arise when consumers suffer harm due to a defective or dangerous product. These cases can be complex, but knowing the process can help you navigate the legal system more effectively. In this article, we will discuss the steps for filing a product liability lawsuit, including identifying the defendants, gathering evidence, understanding the types of product liability, selecting a legal theory, and following procedural requirements.
Identifying the Defendants
The first step in a product liability lawsuit is to identify the parties responsible for the defective product. Potential defendants may include:
- Manufacturers: The company that designed and produced the product
- Distributors: The business that provided the product to retailers
- Retailers: The store that sold the product to consumers
Collecting evidence is crucial for building a strong case. Here are some common types of evidence in product liability lawsuits:
- The defective product itself: Retain the product as evidence and do not attempt to repair or alter it.
- Documentation: Purchase receipts, warranty information, and product packaging can help establish when and where the product was bought.
- Medical records: If you suffered injuries, obtain records detailing the extent of the injuries and any treatments.
- Expert testimony: Experts can help establish the cause of the defect and its connection to your injuries.
Understanding Types of Product Liability
There are three primary types of product liability claims:
- Manufacturing defects: Cases involving flaws in the production process that result in a dangerous or defective product.
- Design defects: Claims in which the product’s design itself is inherently dangerous, even when manufactured correctly.
- Failure to warn: Cases where the manufacturer or seller did not provide adequate warnings or instructions for using the product safely.
Selecting a Legal Theory
Product liability claims typically rely on one or more legal theories, including:
- Negligence: The defendant failed to exercise reasonable care in designing, manufacturing, or distributing the product.
- Strict liability: The defendant is responsible for the plaintiff’s injuries regardless of whether they exercised reasonable care.
- Breach of warranty: The defendant breached an express or implied warranty that the product would be safe and free from defects.
Consulting an Attorney – Product liability cases can be complex, and an experienced attorney can help navigate the process. An attorney can evaluate your case, determine the appropriate legal theory, and guide you through the necessary steps to file a lawsuit.
Filing a Complaint – The complaint is the official document that initiates the lawsuit. It outlines the facts of the case, identifies the defendants, and states the legal claims being made. Your attorney will draft and file the complaint with the appropriate court.
Discovery Process – Once the lawsuit has been filed, both parties will engage in the discovery process. This involves exchanging information and evidence, including interrogatories (written questions), document requests, and depositions (oral testimony).
Pre-Trial Motions and Settlement Negotiations – Before the trial, parties may file pre-trial motions to resolve specific issues or request summary judgment. Additionally, parties may engage in settlement negotiations in an attempt to resolve the case without going to trial.
Trial – If a settlement cannot be reached, the case will proceed to trial. During the trial, both parties will present evidence and arguments to support their case. The judge or jury will then decide the outcome, including whether the defendant is liable and the amount of any damages awarded to the plaintiff.
Appeals – After the trial, either party may appeal the decision to a higher court if they believe legal errors were made during the trial.
Filing a product liability lawsuit is a complex process. However, understanding the steps involved in filing your product liability case can help you protect your rights and seek compensation for injuries or loved one’s death caused by a defective product. It’s essential to act promptly, as statutes of limitations may limit the time you have to file a lawsuit. In some jurisdictions, the statute of limitations can be as short as one year from the date of injury, while others may allow for a more extended period.
Additionally, keep in mind that every case is unique, and the specific steps and procedures may vary depending on the jurisdiction, type of product, and facts of your case. It is crucial to consult with an experienced product liability attorney who can provide tailored advice and guidance based on your circumstances. By following the proper steps, maintaining clear communication with your attorney, and staying organized, you can increase the likelihood of a favorable outcome in your product liability lawsuit. Remember that while the legal process can be challenging, pursuing a product liability claim can help hold negligent parties accountable and prevent further harm to other consumers.
How to Choose the Right Product Liability Law Firm for Your Case
Choosing the right product liability law firm is crucial in pursuing a successful claim. With numerous firms available, it can be overwhelming to select the one best suited for your case. In this article, we provide a step-by-step guide to help you choose the right product liability law firm.
Check the Law Firm’s Track Record
A law firm’s track record can be an excellent indicator of its expertise in handling product liability cases. Consider the following:
- Years of experience in product liability law.
- Success rate in handling similar cases, including settlements and verdicts.
- Reputation in the legal community.
Schedule a Consultation
Most law firms offer free initial consultations. Schedule consultations with at least 2-3 firms to discuss your case, ask questions, and get a feel for how they operate. Use this opportunity to:
- Present the facts of your case.
- Assess the attorney’s communication style and ability to explain complex legal concepts.
- Discuss the firm’s resources, such as access to expert witnesses and support staff.
Assess the Firm’s Experience and Expertise
An attorney’s experience and expertise in product liability law are crucial. Consider the following:
- The attorney’s years of experience in handling product liability cases.
- Their familiarity with the specific type of product involved in your case.
- The attorney’s understanding of relevant laws and regulations.
- Their experience in working with expert witnesses and other professionals.
Understand the Fee Structure
Understand the law firm’s fee structure before making a decision. Most product liability attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only receive payment if they successfully recover compensation for you. Make sure to clarify:
- The percentage of the recovery the attorney will take as their fee.
- Any additional costs or expenses, such as filing fees or expert witness fees, and whether these will be deducted from the settlement or paid upfront.
Consider the Firm’s Availability and Responsiveness
A law firm’s availability and responsiveness are essential factors in choosing the right representation. Assess:
- The attorney’s willingness to keep you informed and updated on your case.
- The firm’s promptness in responding to your calls or emails.
- Whether the attorney has the time and resources to devote to your case.
Trust Your Instincts
Finally, trust your instincts when selecting a product liability law firm. You should feel comfortable and confident in the attorney’s ability to represent your best interests.
Choosing the right product liability law firm is a critical step in pursuing a successful claim. Take the time to research potential firms, assess their experience and expertise, evaluate their fee structure, and consider their availability and responsiveness. By following these steps, you can increase your chances of finding a law firm that will provide the best possible representation for your case.
Why Choose Parker Waichman LLP?
Parker Waichman LLP is a nationally recognized law firm specializing in personal injury and product liability cases. With a proven track record and a team of dedicated attorneys, the firm has become a top choice for those seeking legal representation in these matters. In this article, we will discuss the reasons why you should consider choosing Parker Waichman LLP for your product liability case.
- Extensive Experience and Expertise – Parker Waichman LLP has been handling personal injury and product liability cases for decades. Their team of attorneys has vast experience in a wide range of product liability cases, including defective medical devices, dangerous drugs, automobile defects, and more. Their in-depth understanding of the nuances of product liability law enables them to effectively represent clients and achieve favorable results.
- Impressive Track Record – Parker Waichman LLP has a proven track record of success in product liability cases, having recovered over $2 billion in verdicts and settlements for their clients. Their success rate demonstrates their commitment to providing excellent legal representation and their ability to handle complex cases.
- Personalized Attention – The attorneys at Parker Waichman LLP understand that each case is unique and requires personalized attention. They take the time to understand the specific circumstances of your case, listen to your concerns, and work closely with you throughout the legal process. Their focus on client satisfaction ensures that your needs are met and your expectations are exceeded.
- Access to Resources – Parker Waichman LLP has access to a wide array of resources that can significantly benefit your case. Their team includes experienced investigators, paralegals, and support staff who work diligently to gather evidence, research relevant laws, and build a strong case on your behalf. Additionally, they have established relationships with expert witnesses in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and toxicology, to provide valuable testimony and bolster your case.
- No Recovery, No Fee – Parker Waichman LLP works on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay nothing unless they successfully recover compensation for you. This arrangement allows you to pursue your case without worrying about upfront legal fees or costs. It also demonstrates the firm’s confidence in their ability to achieve favorable outcomes for their clients.
- National Reputation – Parker Waichman LLP is well-regarded within the legal community and has been recognized by various organizations for their achievements in personal injury and product liability law. Their national reputation and recognition speak to the high-quality legal representation they provide.
- High Profile Cases – Parker Waichman LLP has handled large and high-profile cases in its history as a law firm specializing in personal injury and product liability. The firm has been involved in a variety of cases, representing clients in matters involving defective medical devices, dangerous pharmaceutical drugs, automobile defects, toxic exposure, and more. Over the years, they have built a reputation for taking on complex, large-scale cases and achieving favorable outcomes for their clients.
Some of the larger cases Parker Waichman LLP has been involved in may include:
- Pharmaceutical Litigation: The firm has represented clients who have suffered severe injuries or complications due to dangerous drugs. These cases often involve large pharmaceutical companies and may result in substantial settlements or verdicts for their clients.
- Defective Medical Devices: Parker Waichman LLP has pursued cases against manufacturers of faulty medical devices, such as hip implants, transvaginal mesh, and heart devices. These cases can involve numerous plaintiffs and may lead to substantial compensation for those affected by the defective products.
- Environmental and Toxic Exposure: Parker Waichman LLP has also represented clients in cases involving environmental contamination or toxic exposure, which can affect entire communities and require significant investigation and resources.
While the specifics of these cases are subject to confidentiality agreements and privacy concerns, Parker Waichman LLP’s track record of recovering over $2 billion in verdicts and settlements speaks to their ability to handle large, complex cases effectively. Their dedication, resources, and legal expertise make them a strong choice for clients seeking representation in large-scale product liability and personal injury cases.
Choosing Parker Waichman LLP for your product liability case offers several advantages, including extensive experience, an impressive track record, personalized attention, access to resources, a contingency fee arrangement, and a national reputation. By selecting this law firm to represent you, you can feel confident that your case is in capable hands and that your best interests will be prioritized throughout the legal process.
CONTACT PARKER WAICHMAN LLP FOR A FREE CASE REVIEW
If you or a loved one has been harmed by a dangerous product, don’t hesitate to take action. Contact Parker Waichman LLP now at 1-800-YOUR-LAWYER (1-800-968-7529) for a free consultation. Our experienced products liability attorneys can help you understand your legal options and pursue the economic compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. Don’t let the big corporations get away with their negligent behavior. Call us today for a free consultation.
New York | Brooklyn | Queens | Long Island | New Jersey | Florida
Call us at: 1-800-YOURLAWYER (800-968-7529) | Schedule your free consultation